Cable management between 4-6-0 and 2-8-0 loco and tender?

Started by Searsport, February 11, 2012, 12:02:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Searsport

Hi, sorry if this is a repeat, but I posted this question a few hours ago and then could not find it, so here goes again!

I have just ventured into HO steam, DCC and sound, I just received the low-boiler Baldwin 4-6-0 (84905) and the 2-8-0 (84509) by mail order so there is no easy way to ask the retailer. 

I opened the 4-6-0, looks fantastic, but when I plug the cables from the tender into the loco they seem too long and when I hook up the tender drawbar the cables loop back under the tender and foul the leading axle pickup, stop the bogie swivelling and derail the front bogie, whilst under the loco cab because the plug fit is vertical and the cable fairly stiff and springy the cable sticks down, rubs along the sleepers and fouls anything between the rails, e.g. pointwork, uncoupler magnets, etc.

I assumed this was just an assembly problem with this loco, but when I opened the 2-8-0 (also great, but not quite as beautiful as the 4-6-0), I found a similar problem.  Here the cables come from beneath the loco and plug horizontally into the tender.  Again they are so long that when the tender bar is coupled the excess lead lifts the front bogie of the tender clear off the rails.  The only way I could run the loco was by uncoupling the tender and having the loco pull it by the cable!

Different engines, different mail order house.  Am I just amazingly unlucky, or is this a common feature of loco to tender connections, with some simple solution?  I had been running an RS-1 and RS-3 on the layout, so never had this problem, as there is no external connection cable.  If this is normal, how do you do manage the excess cable?  There is no mention of the loco to tender connection in the documentation, or on the CD.  With the 4-6-0 should I dismantle the tender and pull some cable in?  But that still does not solve the problem of the springy lead sticking down from beneath the loco cab to between the rails, and I am wary of dismantling the tender, as the parts diagram looks frighteningly complex.  On the 2-8-0, should I cut off the plug and shorten the lead?  I am wary of that task, too.

I want to couple both engines to their tenders at the closest position.  What do you folks do?  Am I missing something simple? Please Help!

Bill.

rogertra

The answer is  simple.

Tuck the wires back inside the tender.

Remove the coal load and put some weight over the front tender truck, some pennies will do as they are cheap.  Then put the coal load back in the tender.

Yes, it's that easy, you need to do it on most steam locos.  :-)

richg

I take a small pair of sharp scissors and slit the two plastic tubes that encase the wires and helps to tuck in the wires.

Rich

richg

This is the type of scissors I use to slit the two plastic tubes.

Rich

Pacific Northern

The issue of the electrical wires has been the subject of complaints since the Spectrum engines were released.

If you do a search you will find pages of comments from frustrated owners.

Pacific Northern

rogertra

Quote from: Pacific Northern on February 12, 2012, 08:34:03 PM
The issue of the electrical wires has been the subject of complaints since the Spectrum engines were released.

If you do a search you will find pages of comments from frustrated owners.

This is so true.  The best, by far, engine to tender coupler was the one used on the original P2K 0-8-0 switcher.  Coupler and electrical connections all in one, rather like most European multiple units these days. 

NO wires.

That coupler should become an industry standard for steam locomotives but it won't because manufactures try to save a penny here and a penny there and won't pay royalties, even if the design is better than their bundle of ugly, annoying, multicolour wires.

Bachmann please note.   :)

richg

I adjust the wires to look like hose connections. I coat the wires with liquid black vinyl coating. Not a big deal. This is model railroading. Use your imagination.

Rich

rogertra

Quote from: richg on February 18, 2012, 11:46:43 AM
I adjust the wires to look like hose connections. I coat the wires with liquid black vinyl coating. Not a big deal. This is model railroading. Use your imagination.

Rich

Yes, like you I do know how to handle the problem and I have a vivid imagination but others may not.  :)

However, it doesn't change the fact the the bundle of wires does cause problems for many modellers and there is an easily available and far better option out there.