News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Williams Station Sounds

Started by aky13, February 19, 2012, 03:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aky13

Can someone tell me what "wired for station sounds" MEANS on the bottom of my new, old, Williams PRR Betsy Ross domed observation car?  I ASSUME it means that there once was a sound unit, sold separately, that could be plugged into the car (I see the electrical connection through the dome windows).  IF SO, what was it called and does anyone know where I can buy one?

phillyreading

Was this a 'Crown Edition' by any chance? If so the unit could around 16 years old. Most of the time when it says wired for something, it meant that the wiring harness is there to add that feature.
For more info try Marty at Ma & Pa Junction hobby shop. www.mapajuction.com
Marty is a Williams dealer, even before Bachmann bought Williams.

I could only take a guess at what the sound unit could be. The Williams units before Bachmann bought Williams have some varitions that are not always made know to the public.
The only Williams with Station Sounds, that I know of, was usually an unpowered A or B diesel engine in the 'Crown Edition'.

Williams by Bachmann now uses the True Blast 2 horn.

Lee F.

aky13

First, THANK YOU for your response.  I will contact them.  These passenger cars ARE from before Bachmann bought Williams.  They are from some special PRR set but I do NOT think they are a "Crown Edition."  There IS a connector visible in the Betsy Ross domed car.  I suspect something LIKE QSI's Proto 1 was available for separate sale.

Again, THANK YOU!

Arthur

aky13

Lee, the link is NOT working.  Are you sure Ma and Pa is still in business?

Matt

If I remember correctly, Station Sounds was a plug in sound board that was made by OTT, the same company that was making the True Sounds boards for Williams. Not sure if they are still in business, as I think this goes back to the mid 90s.

Matt

phillyreading

Quote from: aky13 on February 19, 2012, 07:09:08 PM
Lee, the link is NOT working.  Are you sure Ma and Pa is still in business?
There might be more to the link, but I though that I gave it correctly. Far as I know Marty is still in business.
The email is marty@mapajunction.com

Lee F.

phillyreading

Quote from: aky13 on February 19, 2012, 07:06:59 PM
First, THANK YOU for your response.  I will contact them.  These passenger cars ARE from before Bachmann bought Williams.  They are from some special PRR set but I do NOT think they are a "Crown Edition."  There IS a connector visible in the Betsy Ross domed car.  I suspect something LIKE QSI's Proto 1 was available for separate sale.

Again, THANK YOU!

Arthur
The item was most likely made by QSI for Williams Corp, but it was not PS-1-as that was made for MTH by QSI. For a number of years QSI made most of the circuit boards for Williams before True Blast system came out.
You would do best to check an older Williams catalog for the item you want. Or maybe check at a local model train show.
The problem with finding parts for older Williams is that there is not a referance book that has been published, at least not that I am aware of. Greenberg or Lloyds have not done a book on Williams.

Lee F.

r0gruth

I have a set of Williams  O-27 streamlined Southern Cresent cars that also have the same markings inside.These were pre Bachmann.

I called Williams about this,probably in 2002,and was told that this station sound application was never made.I stopped looking for it.
Roger

aky13

You folks are ALL awesome.  THANK YOU!  Especially Roger for the last comment.  Now I know not to waste my time looking.

Arthur

r0gruth

AKY,

Remember that someone may have later/better info than mine but I have never been able to find out anything else.I will admit that I quit looking some time ago.
Roger

3rail

Dear All,

We had once planned to make a sound unit for the passenger cars, but the project was cancelled.  The factory continued to add the socket and label the car for an additional production run. So there are a good number of these cars out there.

Regards,

3rail