News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Thought I'd post some photos.

Started by rogertra, June 30, 2015, 04:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

These are from my now demolished Great Eastern Railway.

Berger Yard,  Awater.  Looking timetable west, geographically south.  It was planned to extend through the wall under the distant bridge to provide a Rutland Road staging yard but I moved instead.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GER No. 25 shoves a cut of cars onto the Siding at Berger Yard in Atwater.

Dorset Centre with GER 2-10-0 No. 163 on the westbound way freight.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nos 334 and 329 arrive in Granville Junction with the daily Montreal (CPR) freight.

Cheers

Roger T,

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

Trainman203

Up above no. 163 is s brick factory.  What kit(s) is/are that?

Desertdweller

Roger,

Thanks for sharing these photos of your wonderful railroad with us.

It hurts to tear up a nice finished railroad because of a move.  You lost a nice one, but at least the photos survive.

Les

rogertra

Quote from: Trainman203 on June 30, 2015, 05:23:53 PM
Up above no. 163 is s brick factory.  What kit(s) is/are that?

Sorry, don't remember.

The way I treat building kits are as a source for parts.

As soon as I get them home I throw away the instructions.  So this kit was probably one kit with the "back" walls used as more front walls, a bit of cut and splice to add the third floor and various pipes and roof details either scratch built or taken from my parts box.  Throw it all together and it became "Lestra Industries", named after my late dad and supplier of hydraulic pumps and fixtures.

I have several parts boxes.  One for walls and roofs, one for windows and doors and one for all the small details and if I see and interesting kit, I'll buy it and when I get home I break it down into it's parts and "file" them in the appropriate boxes.  I also cut out the box cover photo as they can make useful additions to backdrops.

One of the issues with many kits is they are too small to need the services of a railroad freight car, so I usually make them much bigger but using detailed walls for the parts of the building seen by the viewer and use plain 40 thou plastic sheeting for the walls not seen from the normal viewing angle.  Just like I build stage sets.  You only model and detail what is seen and fake the rest.  :)

Cheers

Roger T.

Trainman203

I take them apart too and use the walls for flats against the wall.  One thing I do before installation is xerox  them on a color Xerox machine, glue them to some cardboard, and get some almost free flats for the club.  They get recombined just like you do both the originals and the copies.

I have the opposite problem of you.   I have a country branchline, and a small layout.  Almost all industry kits are way too big for my layout.  I have ag co-op warehouses, cotton warehouses, nitrogen tanks, independent oil dealers, team tracks, two interchanges, and that's about it.  I just got a Walthers Arrowhead Ale flat, to become a Tabasco  hot sauce plant, and it will be the largest building on the layout unless I build a Centennial Mills flat for my rice mill. 

Len

That's why I like DPM, Rix, and Tichy wall & window packs. You can build almost anything you can think of. They also help fill in the odd places the parts just aren't there for doing a kit bash.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

RAM

I never thought of the copy machine.  I think I will give it a try.  I do have a firehouse/city hall that I thought, no one is going to see the back of the, so I made the back out of card stock and used the back to make the building longer.  I now have room for two fire trucks instead of one.