News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

The Layout Thread

Started by SodorAdventures, February 22, 2012, 10:25:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony P2

was it model railway imports? i wanted to order from them but the ordering process seems strange. :P

Shawn

Yes, it was model railway imports. Their service is awesome, and they have good prices.  They are my sole supplier at this point!

RW James

Quote from: hornbyfan on March 12, 2012, 10:58:39 PM
Yes, it was model railway imports. Their service is awesome, and they have good prices.  They are my sole supplier at this point!

They are a great shop I use them for all my British OO products.  And their ordering works really well for me - I send him a list of what I want, and he sends an email back with a link to PayPal. Couldn't be easier.
Rick

thomasj219

I wish they had some of the older HORNBY buildings and engines. Anyone know somewhere with a wider selection.
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

branmas

I've got photo's up of my layout!!! Please view on page 3!

Skarloey

Good to see that your pics are back up.

Shawn

Quote from: RW James on March 12, 2012, 11:48:32 PM
Quote from: hornbyfan on March 12, 2012, 10:58:39 PM

They are a great shop I use them for all my British OO products.  And their ordering works really well for me - I send him a list of what I want, and he sends an email back with a link to PayPal. Couldn't be easier.

My mum uses e-mail transfer for me, because my parents don't have credit cards. But yes,  Steve and Elvera are awesome!

RW James

Quote from: hornbyfan on March 13, 2012, 05:58:11 PM
My mum uses e-mail transfer for me, because my parents don't have credit cards. But yes,  Steve and Elvera are awesome!
You don't need credit cards for PayPal. I have it set up to draw directly from my checking account. It really is very safe and reliable.
Rick

Shawn

Mum does not want a PayPal account.  Finding out you don't need a credit card though, I might get PayPal when I am older;)L

ThomasFan247

I (well, I give my mom a list and she takes care of it :P) have been using Model Railway Imports lately, and my mom calls and orders over the telephone. I'm pretty sure she uses a credit card to pay, but I'm not sure whether or not you can use cash with over-the-phone orders. Very friendly service, I should add. I emailed the owners about special ordering a Horny model not listed on the site, and when my mom called and asked about it he instantly asked if Christian (me) was her son! :P Really nice man, I highly recommend MRI if you're an American looking for British stock :)

RW James

Quote from: hornbyfan on March 13, 2012, 07:43:11 PM
Mum does not want a PayPal account.  Finding out you don't need a credit card though, I might get PayPal when I am older;)L
As ThomasFan says, they are really nice people. I bet if you ordered something over the phone, they would hold it for you until a check cleared.
Rick

Shawn

Yes, they are very nice.

Anthony P2

forgot they use paypal. now i'll have to order some stuff.

Shawn

Quote from: Anthony P2 on March 15, 2012, 03:25:34 PM
forgot they use paypal. now i'll have to order some stuff.

I happen to know they will be getting hornby spencer for a good price!

JWR3001

Could I be a pain and ask for a second (or more) opinions on the following matter?

I bought some Woodlands Scenic Buff & Grey ballast today, and I'm having trouble deciding which to use for the bulk of the trackwork on my layout--Grey, Buff or a combination of the two. I'm trying to aim for as much TV Series accuracy as possible.

The grey ballast is very similar to the ballast commonly seen on the set of Thomas & Friends during Seasons 6 & 7, and it did look good, althought I think it might be a bit bland in this case.

The buff ballast is more similar to the ballasts seen in Seasons 10-12 of the series, although it does resemble quarry rocks/dust somewhat, possibly making it "stick out" on the layout.

The combination mix is formed with a ratio of almost 1:1 (Grey to Buff), although there is slightly more buff. This also resembles the Series 10-12 ballasts, but I think it acheives the look better than the Buff alone.

All opinions and advice is appreciated!

Thanks,
JWR3001