News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

The Layout Thread

Started by SodorAdventures, February 22, 2012, 10:25:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn

Well, SA's, I knew I would need plastic joiners, but cos' I am using british points,   I might not need them. I am not sure.  I know I would need them if I was using atlas points! but thanks for the info either way

And the buildings will be different, cos I am using mostly scaledale, that is scenecraft, but the foiliage will be similar ;D

My goal is something quintessentially english/british:)

EDIT: here is the wiring diagram for controllers:

shining time

Quote from: SodorAdventures on April 09, 2012, 07:29:48 PM
Sounds great, but add some creativity, don't go by the books.  Its much more fun that way ;)

Either way, Have fun!

Also, i would like to point out that you have crossovers connecting your inner oval to your outer oval. YOU WILL NEED PLASTIC JOINERS in order to run two train at once. Don't worry, they are about 3 bucks.
yeah plastic joiners do work I've got five loops split between two levels and my engines run in opposite directions.
long live the GWR, LNER, and the narrow gauge railways

ThomasFan247

As I am limited on space when it comes to expanding my layout, I have tried something new (;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3gbDmRn5nU&lc=S7U71BsT1SQ3LjobuLG3DHiVO7YPJ91Fb_R7yOsIfYg&feature=inbox

RW James

Very well done ThomasFan!
Rick

ThomasFan247

Calebtrain

I like how you redressed your original layout. Something I attempted in the past, but this looks natural!  :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/Calebtrain

I am always willing to help the best way I can. :)

branmas

Awesome job Thomasfan! Your layout looks *drum roll* AWESOME!

ThomasFan247

Rai1994

Everyone's Layouts look great!  ;D

I hope to start making one soon, Unfortunately I don't have a lot of track pieces yet. I only enough 18" Radius track pieces to make a basic circle. Whenever I buy a new Bachmann Item, I always seem to buy an Engine or Rolling Stock, because I seem to want to get a good variety of Characters/Rolling Stock before I start working on my Layout, Although I don't have much yet... I have Thomas, Percy, James, Henry, Annie and Clarabel, Troublesome Truck #1, and I recently purchased a Mail Car and Troublesome Truck #3, But I think I'll pick up some track next time I go to my local Hobby store, to get a head start.  :)
Thomas will always be my Number 1 favorite tank engine!

panniertankboy8751

Well, here's my layout. The Sherie and Burlham Railway. Set between Somewhere over there and That much more interesting place

It's pretty basic, about 3x6

Has both DC and DCC control, plus fully automated switches! (A new feature)

Fully furbished Passenger and Freight facilities...

A small forest, valley, and the only double track on the line...

A busy commercial district (Traffic seems to have built up)...

And a fully working locomotive servicing stop (The Freight depot is in the foreground)

And plus, here's may little namesake ^_^

Sorry if they seem a bit dark, my camera decided not to use flash at all.

SodorAdventures

Quote from: panniertankboy8751 on April 11, 2012, 10:05:57 PM
Well, here's my layout. The Sherie and Burlham Railway. Set between Somewhere over there and That much more interesting place

It's pretty basic, about 3x6

Has both DC and DCC control, plus fully automated switches! (A new feature)

Fully furbished Passenger and Freight facilities...

A small forest, valley, and the only double track on the line...

A busy commercial district (Traffic seems to have built up)...

And a fully working locomotive servicing stop (The Freight depot is in the foreground)

And plus, here's may little namesake ^_^

Sorry if they seem a bit dark, my camera decided not to use flash at all.

I love the layout, and can't wait to see your mountain!

just one question, what is the most tight radius? They seem a little (too) tight....   Otherwise, I think as long as your not running Gordon or Henry, you should be fine ;)

And I also love the weathering on the water tower!
Are you ready for Dover Valley's Facelift?

Visit our official site for more info:
                    http://www.sodoradventuresonline.com

JWR3001

Definitely liking the looks of some of the layouts here!

My layout is still in it's very early stages, its built on a preformed base made by Noch called "Konigsfeld". The base is very ideal because its small, reasonably portable, and has some nice features on it (a tunnel and a bridge). The actual structure of the base can also be expanded upon in almost at any way imaginable (e., a mountain, ski lift, castle ruin, etc), however the steep hills will cause problems with most Bachmann Thomas engines hauling loads (the only ones capable of doing so being the newer, heavier engines like Donald, Douglas and Diesel, as well as the bigger engines.).

Here is a video of the layout with trackwork and a station in place: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3u-1bo0wV8

Tonight, I just completed a ballasting test. Having chosen a blend of Grey and Buff ballast (Grey being dominant), I laid out some ballast and glued it down.

I think it looks good, so I'll be moving onto to the rest of the layout shortly. The only trouble I've had is that the dust given off by the ballast completely covers the track, turning it grey/black (it was originally weathered brown!).

JWR3001

SodorAdventures

Quote from: JWR3001 on April 12, 2012, 09:03:06 AM
Definitely liking the looks of some of the layouts here!

My layout is still in it's very early stages, its built on a preformed base made by Noch called "Konigsfeld". The base is very ideal because its small, reasonably portable, and has some nice features on it (a tunnel and a bridge). The actual structure of the base can also be expanded upon in almost at any way imaginable (e., a mountain, ski lift, castle ruin, etc), however the steep hills will cause problems with most Bachmann Thomas engines hauling loads (the only ones capable of doing so being the newer, heavier engines like Donald, Douglas and Diesel, as well as the bigger engines.).

Here is a video of the layout with trackwork and a station in place: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3u-1bo0wV8

Tonight, I just completed a ballasting test. Having chosen a blend of Grey and Buff ballast (Grey being dominant), I laid out some ballast and glued it down.

I think it looks good, so I'll be moving onto to the rest of the layout shortly. The only trouble I've had is that the dust given off by the ballast completely covers the track, turning it grey/black (it was originally weathered brown!).

JWR3001

Saw the video, its looking very nice!

I think personally you should ballast around the sides of the road bed too.

I've been to many model (and real) Railroad and see the ballast filling over along the sides.   Otherwise, It looks great. You have a nack with those elevations, I never get them right :P
Are you ready for Dover Valley's Facelift?

Visit our official site for more info:
                    http://www.sodoradventuresonline.com

AJWPRODUCTIONS

Quote from: JWR3001 on April 12, 2012, 09:03:06 AM
The steep hills will cause problems with most Bachmann Thomas engines hauling loads (the only ones capable of doing so being the newer, heavier engines like Donald, Douglas and Diesel, as well as the bigger engines.).

JWR3001
Oh yep, I have the exact same problem with the rosenhiem layout :P its a complete pain, and I have to tighten the radius towards the bridge, so Gordon, Henry and Spencer all fall off ITS A NIGHTMARE >:(.

JWR3001

Quote from: SodorAdventures on April 12, 2012, 09:17:25 AM
Saw the video, its looking very nice!

I think personally you should ballast around the sides of the road bed too.

I've been to many model (and real) Railroad and see the ballast filling over along the sides.   Otherwise, It looks great. You have a nack with those elevations, I never get them right :P

Thanks for saying so. I do plan on ballasting on the sides of the roadbed, the only reason I didn't for this test being that it was just too hard (given that the track is on the very edge of the board). I'm going to go back and finish that area up, but all tracks further away from the edges will be much easier to do.

And yeah, the roadbed was a pain (literally--twisting pieces and then holding them down while the glue dries is like playing a game of Twister with your fingers!)

Quote from: AJW98Productions on April 12, 2012, 09:46:53 AM
Oh yep, I have the exact same problem with the rosenhiem layout :P its a complete pain, and I :P have to tighten the radius towards the bridge, so Gordon, Henry and Spencer all fall off ITS A NIGHTMARE >:(.

I think I've said this already, but I had the same trouble with Douglas on my Konigsfeld layout. Luckily I was able to rework the track on the outer loop, so Douglas can now handle the outer loop, but not the inner loop. Surprisingly, Gordon (and I therefore suspect, Henry & Spencer) handles both loops well...anyway, I'd love to see some photos if you have any...you know, just to see how it's progressing...maybe even help out before you secure down the track?

JWR3001