News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Signal strength

Started by renegade800, February 17, 2012, 08:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renegade800

Why do I keep losing signal strength for my Dynamis controller.  I can be a foot away from the box with good strength and then lose all signal without moving.  Do florescent lights affect it?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Ric

gilly

I too am having the same problem, did you find out any solutions, I understand from sending previous things back to Bachmann that they are running 8 weeks for service, thats no fun.........

NarrowMinded

three things

1. make sure you put good brand new batteries in the controller

2. make sure the outlet you are plugging the wall pack into is putting out at least 110vac

3. some florescent lights have an affect I switched to cool white.

NM-Jeff

darthraven

What frequency does the controller work on?

Jim Banner

Quote from: darthraven on February 17, 2012, 10:27:47 PM
What frequency does the controller work on?

Around 300 to 400 teraherz.  This is in the near infrared portion of the spectrum.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

darthraven

I have read that a wireless router can cause this.  Though they work on RF and not IR so I am not sure why it would cause an issue but they said resetting the router can help.

Ken G Price

As NM-Jeff check the batteries. Even though I may have a different system then you, when I have this problem it tends to one of two things.
Batteries or you may need to reenter the engine number.
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

renegade800

I checked my Volts coming out of the outlet and it is a strong 120 volts, put new batterys in the controller and shut off the florescent lights and still have the problem with the signal coming and going

NarrowMinded

If you have a digital camera with a viewing screen you can look through the screen while operating the units and see if the IR is lighting up, Most Digital camera's see the IR and translate it into white. 

Don't expect to see the room light up just the IR emitters will  flash. 

look around the room to see if you  have any other IR emitters active like from a Webcam or security camera if you have them.

NM-Jeff

captain1313

When do you loose the signal?  When a loco is running or when nothing is running or both?  I have signal loss when operating one of my locos with a QSI decoder.  Usually when trying to use the whistle or bell.  I have another loco with a QSI but don't have any problems with it.  Just my Atlas.

Kevin

renegade800

there seems to be no reason to when I seem to lose signal strength, sometimes a couple trains are running on different tracks and is do so for several minutes with no problems and then the signal meter will go down to one bar or go away all together.  After a minute or two the signal is back to full strength.  Really confusing.  I have my layout in a separate building more than 50 feet from the house, no other electronics in the building other than lights.