News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

n scale ez track

Started by ctyslckr, February 23, 2012, 03:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ctyslckr

I am assembling the stuff to put up a 3'x7' layout in n scale. I was going to have 2 seperate 49" ovals(11 1/4" radius. 1 would be at the bottom left of the board, the other at the top right. They would overlap twice and I was going to handle each cross with a graduated pier set. However, I found that I had a 90 degree crossover and a few pieces of 1/2 curve track. I tried assembling them and they seem to work physically as an at-grade crossing. My question is: Being I was going to use a rerailer and speed control on each oval, will this work electrically? If not, what can I do to fix it? Thank you.

Desertdweller

Yes, it will work.  As was discussed in an earlier thread, the rails in a crossing (intersection of tracks) are electrically isolated for each route.

If you are going to do that much, you can greatly expand your operational possibilities by joining your two loops to make a larger track layout.  You need to get an E-Z Track Layout Book.

It sounds like you already have two trains and power packs, and plenty of track.  You do not need to have DCC to run more than one train at once on your layout.  If your track is joined into a continuous route, it can be divided into independently controlled sections, connected to either power pack by DPDT switches.  These are available as ready-to-install units from Atlas (as "Selectors"), or from a place like Radio Shack if you would rather build your own control panel.

Les