News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Why railroading?

Started by sour rails, July 23, 2007, 09:59:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sour rails

Everybody has there own opinion.  So I'd like to know why some of you guys like model railroading better than some other hobbies.
Here are my reasons:
1.) It's fun
2.) I get to learn so much about not just railroads in general but a particular one.
3.) It gives the modeler (me ;D) the capability to landscape. The more landscaping is done on a model layout, the more profficient one can become in real landscaping.

Anyways, anyone have any other reasons to share?
Sometimes, true greatness comes in small packages.  ~Sour Rails

Nickel Plate Road~Resurgence

8) 8) Sour Rails 8) 8) [move]

WoundedBear

A modeler is a modeler is a modeler.

I started out building cars at a very young age.....I did the military thing for a bit........did the radio controlled car thing.......did trains roughly 20 years ago.....went back to automotive modeling for past few years.......and now it's a back to HO trains.

I like being creative, but the auto replicas were getting too much like work. Now I have found a whole new world of railroad modeling, as copared to 20 years past, and am excited about the steep learning curve.

The train world gives me a chance to explore scenery creation and, something I am really looking forwards to, is building a few "craftsman" structures. I recently acquired a JV Models "Lucas Sawmill" kit....can't wait.

Then there are the "dynamic" and the "interactive" aspects of the model railroad. These have a great deal of appeal to me as well. The "static" car displays were getting stale. DCC has greatly increased the enjoyment of actually operating the railroad.

I like the fact that a railroad model is never really "complete". There is always something to add, something to revise, or something in need of total reconstruction.

I like to scratchbuild....I like to kitbash......2 more of my favorite things, that I have found in model railroads. It's a win win situation for me.

Sid

Terry Toenges

I'm returning with you now to those thrilling days of yesteryear when the Iron Horse rolls again. High ball Mogul awayyyyyyy........
Feel like a Mogul.

Dusten Barefoot

I was born to love trains, My momma rode on the train at Tweetsie with me in her Stomach, and also my Papa told me about the railroad when I was 2, and I went to Tweetsie when I was 3-1/2. I used to like all big machines when I was a little kid.
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

brad

I had trains as a kid, a simple 4X8 double track loop with some buildings and sawdust ground cover. Then I started building military models and spent thousands of dollars and hours on that. The only problem was, even though I built highly detailed and rather large diaramas, nothing moved. I knew my days as a military modeler were at an end when I started kitbashing German WWII armoured cars into futuristic fighting vehicles alla Mad Max.

For me going back to trains was easy, a lot more could be done in the same amount of space, AND things moved like the real things. That's one of the greatest attractions I have to steam engines, I can see them working and some day I'll be hearing them run on my layout also.

brad
I drempt, I planned, I'm building

VirginiaCentral

Edna St. Vincent Millay said it this way: "there isn't a train I wouldn't take,
No matter where it's going." That's exactly the way I feel about trains.  I love to watch them, I love to hear them, I love to ride them., I even love to smell them!  Since I can't watch, ride, smell and listen to them all of the time (oh ye lucky railroaders, whose vocation and advocation are the same!) and I certainly cannot afford to buy a full size train, I must settle for having models of my favorite prototypes.  This way I can at least dream of all of the trips that I can't take.  As my byline says "I love the smell of coal smoke in the morning!"

Jerry
Jerry Kay
Big Sandy & Cumberland Garden Railroad
Virginia Central & New River Railway & Navigation Co.
"I love the smell of coal smoke in the morning!"

Kevin Strong

Because I can't play golf to save my life.

Later,

K