News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Old battery powered Big Hauler loco

Started by hanssml, February 23, 2012, 03:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hanssml

I have a couple of questions.
Has anyone converted from battery power to track power by using sliding contacts such as on LGB and Pico?

Does anyone know a source for traction tires on this loco ? Bachmann does not have them- so much for Lifetime Warranty.

Is there a fix for the glitchyness of the radio remote control for these? I have two locos, each at different frequency's

Loco Bill Canelos

I doubt anyone would, electrical connectivity with just a pair of sliders would probably result in stalls on dirty track or at switch frogs.  You could add more sliders I guess. Use of the plastic wheels driving on the metal track would quickly ruin them.  Especially if hauling any kind of load.  I have seen many metal drivers worn all the way through the original plating.  If you add weight to the loco you only make it worse. 
Your loco's are 22 years old, most companies do not support products that old.  It is a Limited Lifetime warranty, so you could try sending it in for repair.
If the batteries are a problem you can convert the loco to use more modern hi capacity battery packs found in R/C cars.  You could check with other manufacturers for traction tires.  Some folks use O rings found at Farm and Home stores or Auto parts stores.  Harbor Freight also has the larger o Rings.  You could try buying complete Battery powered locos on Ebay where they sell very cheaply, and strip them for parts.

There is no fix to the glitchiness that would not involve costs more than three times the value of what you have.  20+ year old low cost RC transmitters and receivers just can't do what modern systems can.

Best of luck!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

hanssml

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I pretty much figured the same things you said. I just thought someone might have some other ideas.
One thing I may do is take out the sound system in the Hauler and try to put it in my LGB mogul.

NarrowMinded

There are metal wheels that will fit in place of the plastic wheels, if you can find a early track powered big hauler for a doner it's a  easy conversion.

NM-Jeff

armorsmith

The other option, if you are looking for a permanent answer would be to convert the entire drive over to a Barry's Big Trains bulletproof drive.  Not cheap, but it will be a one time expense.

My tuppence.

Bob C.

hanssml

Thanks guys. I appreciate your input. I'll watch out for wheels!