dating williams rolling stock

Started by EngineBoss, February 13, 2012, 12:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EngineBoss

How or where do I find the build date for my Williams Caboose 477618? Road name: Pennsylvania RR, Eastern Division. Thanks

phillyreading

What does it have on the underside of the caboose? Williams, Williams Reproduction, or Williams by Bachmann, or even Bachmann. Do you have the box it came in? As Williams made at least two versions of engines and rolling stock, regular Williams and the Crown Edition( the box will have the words "Crown Edition" stamped on it), also Williams Reproductions(copies of Lionel engines).
If it has just Williams it could be 5 to 16 years old. It is difficult to date a Williams product, I can only give approximate dates without more knowledge. ??? Also I have not seen any price guides for Williams.

Lee F.

EngineBoss

There is no lettering on the underside of the caboose. I have the box, it says Williams Electric Trains, on the bottom it says "Williams Reproductions LTD. 6560 Dobbin Road Columbia, Maryland 21045". On the front it says "Williams Electric Trains, Complete ready-to-run! "O" & "O27" Gauge Electric Trains".
Thanks for the help.

phillyreading

The Williams reproductions were done closer to the end of Mr. Williams owning the company personally, before the sellout to Bachmann.
Maybe somebody else would know how to date the caboose better, but I would estimate between 5 to 8 years old.

I have an S-2 Pennsylvania steam engine & tender that has Williams Reproduction on the bottom of the engine, a small data plate with "Williams Reproduction" is glued to it. If I am correct I bought this engine about 6 to 8 years ago from an independant Williams dealer at that time.

Lee F.

phillyreading

Maybe somebody from the Bachmann Company can chime in about dating pre-Bachmann Williams engines and rolling stock.
I would like to know what some of the variations are, fixed knuckle couplers verses opening couplers and what was supposed to have a horn unit & what kind of horn unit; T.B. 2 or just a horn.
I have seen some variations on the same type of passenger cars by Williams, example is the Reading King Coal passenger set. One set has non-working or fixed couplers and the other has working or opening couplers and the truck assemblies are slightly differant as well, three sets of axles but the one version has plastic wheels in the center of the truck and the other version has all metal wheels.

Lee F.