News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Williams by Bachmann Part?

Started by RRaddict, February 24, 2012, 01:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RRaddict

Can anyone tell why Williams by Bachmann gives you a parts sheet with their locomotives but wont sell you parts?

the Bach-man

Dear Addict,
Not all parts are available all the time.  Many, however, can be purchased.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

RRaddict

Not according to the parts department. I was told by them that parts are not available to the public what so ever and no matter how small a problem I must sen the entire locomotive in.

the Bach-man

Dear addict,
We are looking into this, and will get back to you.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

RRaddict

That would be great as many others I am sure have been told this.

I need a new boiler front for my 773 WbyB Hudson. The marker light broke due to a derailment caused by not enough slack in the tender to loco tether line.
    I have not gotten around to contacting the parts dept. This would be most foolish if they ask me to send them the entire loco for a part that small.
    I hope the "Bachman" reads this and assures me that I will not have a problem.

I will post a report on this when I contact the parts dept.

RRaddict

Unfortunately thatis what they want you to do. They'll tell you that they don't sell parts.

stubbsO

I have throw my 2 cents on this as well.  I have purchased 3 dummy upgrade kits in the past for kitbashed projects and have had to get the side bolsters, couplers, etc.  to complete them. I told them what I wanted and got the parts no problem. With my latest project last year, I was told that they don't sell those and that I would have to by the whole truck assembly just to get the parts I needed. Now I have a extra set of trucks that I really don't need. When I questioned them on this I was told that it's always been this way, I said B.S. and what I have ordered in the past with no problems. I was told that they shouldn't have done this as it's not policy, I beg your pardon?
I sure hope that I never break a bolster or need a coupler for a loco, as this is just totally wrong! You might have better luck dealing with the Service Dept rather than Discustomer Service as they seem to be clueless about anything related to trains.
As a side note, I was told by upper Management that they have had problems with Customer Service that they are trying to fix. This was 3 years ago, don't know if anything has changed since then but from last years escapades, I'd have to say they haven't, JMHO.

lennyski

This is the one area I think Bachmann needs to work on. I understand that they want to control the repairs but most people like to fix the trains themselves and I have had a great experience with the repairs department get 2 steam engines fixed. Recently I needed a replacement light for 2 of my WBB steam engines. I couldn't find them and was told the same thing by the hobby shops, we can't get replacement parts. What I would like to see if they are not going to sell to hobby shops is an online store that we can just order the parts. I have 11 WBB engines so far and they are the ones I run now. But I will not buy another one unless I know I will be able to do the simple repairs myself. 

RRaddict

The big question is why do they include a replacement parts list with every locomotive they sell?  If you don't want people ordering parts don't put a parts list in the box. MTH and Lionel have no problem selling you parts and MTH has a dedicated site that let's you order anything as long as you have a part number.  Maybe if Williams started selling people the smaller parts than people that have sent in their locomotives for repairs wouldn't have to wait 4-5 weeks to get them back. Would you rather spend 100.00 towards a new locomotive or pay them to replace a winshield for $ 80.00. I think Williams locomotives are work horses and mechanically I have had no problems with them what so ever but I have had windows winshields fall out but I don't want to shell out big bucks for labor when I can do it for free.

3rail

Dear All,

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.  Our goal is to provide any available part to our valued customers.

Let us explain the situation.

1. We are not always 100% stocked because we can only restock parts when we are producing the specific locomotive.

2. The part lists provide an exploded view of the parts and their numbers, but we do not always get parts in their simplest form.  Some parts are received as sub-assemblies that cannot be separated.  Anything that is glued, riveted, or pressed on such as: windshields, side rods, and wheels are typically not available as a separate part.

3. If the demand is sufficient for a separate part, such as a windshield for a specific locomotive, we will try to offer this part separately in the future. We will produce it on our next scheduled production run, but it make take a year or longer to get this part.

4. We will always try to get you the part that you need.

The two examples that forum members 671, and StubbsO have cited (the 773 boiler front, side-frames, and bolsters) should be available for sale since they can be separated from the sub-assemblies. We had a meeting this morning to make sure that all of our service and parts personnel are giving our customers the correct information. We apologize for any inconvenience caused. If the parts are not available, or you cannot repair your train yourself, you can always take advantage of our Limited Lifetime Warranty.

If you have any problems with your parts request, please contact our Parts Manager at extension 330 or email parts@bachmanntrains.com.  When speaking with any of our parts or service personnel, please get their name.

Thank you,
The Staff of Bachmann Trains