News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann model 6607

Started by StevenToft, February 27, 2012, 05:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StevenToft

Found this old set in a box of my grandparents storage! Locomotive three connectors and motor with lots of track. Old train signs and electrical polesand stuff. Decent shape, any idea what it might be worth??

JerryB

There is an internet appliance known as Google. I just used it to find that the Bachmann model 6607 appears to be the part number for a Bachmann transformer / controller rather than a train set. Not certain, but it appears to have been made in the 1970s.

Several are listed on EBay for $9.00 to $12.00.

Here is a review of the Bachmann 6607 controller along with numerous controllers from the same type and era:

http://www.scottpages.net/ReviewOfControllers.html

QuoteNext we come to a Bachmann 6607 controller, as supplied with a number of their starter sets. This controller intends to be an autotransformer type, but it is built as a transformer with a number of taps, between which the knob switches. The best feature of this is that it is cheap. Unfortunately, the resistance of the controller is rather high, because the unit is small and light, and yes, cheap.

The low-speed regulation is not much of an issue, because the lowest speed is not a crawl at all, more of a walk. This is the worst unit I have ever tested.

Unfortunately old train sets are rarely worth much. The technology, detailing and performance standards have made significant advances in the intervening 40 or so years, and mass produced starter sets do not generate much demand.

Try running what you found. Share it with some kids. It might provide you and / or them with enough enjoyment that will lead to you get into model railroading!

Happy RRing.

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

phillyreading

I agree with  Jerry, there isn't much money value in a lot of old trains.
Too much new technology out there, and most people today are looking for the newer stuff.
H.O. don't bring much money for most old stuff! Even Lionel don't bring much money unless it is extremely rare, very few made or a factory mistake that slipped through, then maybe worth some money.
FYI; for something to be of value if it is an older item, it must be in excellant shape, has to work and look great, nothing missing or discolored and NO scratches at all, otherwise almost NO money value.

There are many re-makes or re-issues and that too knocks down the prices for originals.

Lee F.

Rangerover1944

LOL I have 3 train sets still in box's, one nice passenger set, lucky me with the short passenger cars, all sets still have the original track and transformers. These are from the 50's, lucky if I get $25.00 per set. LOL again, my grandchildren don't even want them, they want DCC like I got now! I got an old friend who showed me a Lionel steam loco, and he thought he had an "antique", meaning $$$$$ dollar signs, the only thing miss'n was the cow catcher, he got mad at me when I told him he'd be lucky if he got $20.00 for it without the catcher on. Jim

The only thing I use the old cheap cars for is practice beating them up and weathering them, but nobody wants them unless I put decent trucks with metal wheel sets and kadee couplers and new coupler gear box's on, about $15.00 per car, hardly worth the effort.