News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N+W Class J 4-8-4 Limited Edition

Started by Ron Zee, February 24, 2012, 10:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Zee

Okay, I know I shouldn't have done it without checking into it further, but I bought a N+W Class J 4-8-4 Limited edition loco. Can this be sent in for repairs or am I toast? Valve gear is locking up the drivetrain, and it seems the gears might be messed up as the wheels on one side will turn, but not on the other side due to the messed up valvetrain.. It also needs a drawbar, it's missing. Please say I've got some kind of a prayer to fix it. It's a really nice looking train.

skipgear

Parts are not available. The entire problem is due to cracked axle gears. There have been some bandaid fixxes over the years but nothing permenant.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

Ron Zee

So then none of the parts listed on this site works in the older loco and only work on the newer one? Bummer. Anyone else out there have any ideas?

Franz T

The sad truth is that if you run across older Bachmann locos (especially non-Spectrum, although even some first generation Spectrum diesels fall into this category) your best option is to run, not walk, away from them. This especially holds true for non-Spectrum steam in any other packaging than the current jewel boxes....
Before you buy ANYTHING used, check out Mark's reviews of the loco in question:  http://www.visi.com/~spookshow/locos.html

Country Joe

I would suggest calling Bachmann's service department. They may be able to help you. Even if they can't, you have nothing to lose by calling other than a few minutes of your time.

Ron Zee

I guess I could try that route. Seems all I've been able to find on e-Bay is "running" ones. And mostly the old ones like the one I have or older. The newer ones are just a little too high right now. Can't seem to find any dead ones for parts.

skipgear

Quote from: Ron Zee on March 04, 2012, 10:48:39 PM
I guess I could try that route. Seems all I've been able to find on e-Bay is "running" ones. And mostly the old ones like the one I have or older. The newer ones are just a little too high right now. Can't seem to find any dead ones for parts.

The problem is, the dead ones would have the same problem yours has. It is why these loco's failed. I bet most of the "running" ones listed, have the same problem. They just were not tested far enough that the cracked axles show themselves.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

RGW

The new J is a major inprovment over the old J. I believe you would be happy with it.Keep checking  Feebay,I got a new one for $ 57.00 including shipping,it did take work there was a group for sale I missed the 1st two but got the third also paid less than the 1st two also.