News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Accumate HO a better coupler for On30?

Started by hminky, February 05, 2007, 12:59:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hminky

I have a "what I did" about putting Accumate HO standard couplers on Bachmann On30 freight cars for improved appearance and performance at:

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/accumates/

Thank you if you visit
Harold

Rod

Wow! That does look better! Does the Accumate have a split shank or a moveable jaw? I can't see how they open and with no spring it looks puzzling. I really like the look, especially after you remove that rigid arm under the coupler that is used for the magnetic coupling. I never had my magnets in the right place and am always uncoupling by hand. Thanks again, Harold! Rod Bauer

hminky

The coupler is split design. It hand uncouples better than all the other HO couplers and couples easier. I just haven't removed the "magnetic gladhand thingy" yet. It just pulls out.

I will have an installation article on the 2-8-0 shortly.

Harold

Ken Schei

Hi, Harold,

Another great article!  Keep up the good work.  I've experimented with the Accumate couplers and I agree that they couple and uncouple better than the Kadee clones.  I also agree that the Accumates are close to proper size for most NG couplers, which are the 3/4MCB types with a knuckle height of 6-1-3/4", and which is most appropriate for most of the Bachmann On30 prototypes. 

However, the D&RG narrow gauge used the Type D coupler, which was standard for standard gauge prior to 1932.  The Type D coupler has a 9" knuckle height, which is most closely replicated by the Kadee On3 (S) coupler.  I use both the On3 and HO couplers interchangeably and they interface well for me.  I also use the On3 couplers for any standard gauge models, which is accurate for the earlier 20th-century prototypes.  All of this is well documented by Bruce Metcaff.  Like you I hand uncouple and I clip off the wires to look more realistic.

Cheers, Ken