The Projects & Works In Progress Thread

Started by Stepney the 'Bluebell' Engine, February 25, 2012, 06:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JWR3001

Hi everyone,

After quite some time, work on the Daisy project is starting to pick up again (albeit in small amounts) - mainly since I will be unable to work on my layout indefinitely (I'm having trouble with dust on the layout, and I'm still looking for an easy and inexpensive solution).

I've just finished making the bufferbeams for the model. It started off with two pieces of 1mm thick styrene measured and cut to size, then cemented together. Holes were then drilled with a pin-vice to fit the buffers, then some Bachmann buffers (available as spare parts from Bachmann Branchline) were fitted and glued into place.

One of the bufferbeams was then glued to the back end of the model (I haven't removed the front bogie of the model yet, so I'm unable to access the front end).

A comparison shot against the unaltered front end, showing the difference in buffer heights. Many people who have built models of Daisy have always complained about the incredibly low buffer height, however this does not concern me at all (I'm aiming for TV Series accuracy above all else).

Until next update,

JWR3001

Cirkit:)

So far, so good!
TV-Daisy's front looks the part, though I do wonder why the buffer beam was ever that low..

JWR3001

Most likely to accommodate the complex RC eye-mechanism.

Anyway, I am looking for a little advice from you guys...I'm looking to install a smoke generator in 1-2 of my Bachmann Thomas models (DC that is - yes, I realise the smoke will only work at higher voltages, but I'm willing to allow that), however I can't actually remove the faces. In particular, I'm trying to remove the face from my Bachmann Thomas & James. I tried following a video on YouTube where the uploader just pulled off the face with his fingers, but I can't seem to do it so easily on mine - my fingers just slide right off the face (and I don't want to apply any further force for fear of breaking something)!

If those of you who have done it could share the technique/tools you used, I'd be very grateful!

Thanks in advance,

JWR3001

ScotNick

Maybe the best thing is to remove the body shell from the gear box and push the face from inside out, that should work. From my Thomas and James the faces went off easily  ;D.

AJWPRODUCTIONS

Quote from: JWR3001 on November 14, 2012, 10:04:00 AM
Most likely to accommodate the complex RC eye-mechanism.

Anyway, I am looking for a little advice from you guys...I'm looking to install a smoke generator in 1-2 of my Bachmann Thomas models (DC that is - yes, I realise the smoke will only work at higher voltages, but I'm willing to allow that), however I can't actually remove the faces. In particular, I'm trying to remove the face from my Bachmann Thomas & James. I tried following a video on YouTube where the uploader just pulled off the face with his fingers, but I can't seem to do it so easily on mine - my fingers just slide right off the face (and I don't want to apply any further force for fear of breaking something)!

If those of you who have done it could share the technique/tools you used, I'd be very grateful!

Thanks in advance,

JWR3001
It can take alot of force to take one of the faces off. Thomas and percy were like that for me. Although they're faces won't go back on as well as they used to.

panniertankboy8751

Quote from: Shawn on September 11, 2012, 08:18:57 PM

Excellent job Shawn! ;D The ng track does look a little thick, but other than that, it's prefect!

Shawn

Quote from: panniertankboy8751 on November 15, 2012, 11:42:15 PM
Excellent job Shawn! ;D The ng track does look a little thick, but other than that, it's prefect!

Thank you sir.  Since making that, I have updated the rail-head widths,  and made an entirely new duck.  More to come soon

branmas

Wait, so let me get this straight. Is this just digital art or is it for a games like Trainz.

Shawn

It is digital art.  CGI models,  but not in trainz.  They are cgi models made with an industry standard 3D modelling software.  Called blender 3D.  If you want to see what blender can do,  go watch the short film Sintel on youtube.  It was completely produced in blender.

Shawn

Don't know where to post this,  but I did this to help my work in progress skills.

I didn't make the boat,  but downloaded it to put it in the picture:)

Calebtrain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Calebtrain

I am always willing to help the best way I can. :)

Shawn

panniertankboy8751

Looks great Shawn! Does this mean the Star and Zero fleets will be appearing, or was this just a little test?