News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

reversing loop

Started by renegade800, February 26, 2012, 10:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renegade800

Since I switched to dcc, I changed my track layout and added a loop to change directions on one of the tracks.  I have seperate power to it and use it as a service track for programming the decoders.  I initially made the mistake of having it powered by the mainline which caused a short in the track when the engine passed through the turnout and touched the  reverse loop section.  My problem is since I wired that loop seperate, using an Altas twin switch from my old dc track setup to reverse the current everything works fine until the engine is attempting to leave the loop and reenter the mainline. Do I need a different type of manual switch. If I move the switch while the engine is on the loop and isnt touching either end of the mainline it keeps running.  Am I missing something?  Sure wish I was an electrical engineer.  Would connecting an auto-reversing modual be the best solution?  Trying to save movey.

Rick

RAM

you need to throw the reversing switch while the train is in the reversing loop. 

Jerrys HO

Rick

I use the Bachmann reverse loop module with the two 9'' sections that go with it. They work great and take a couple of minutes to install. There is no need for using the Atlas switch as the module does it for you.
I have never wired a loop the way you have it but I know other's have. I figure with all the turnout's I have to control I would hate to have to worry about that too.
The Favorite Spot has low prices on the module and the power insulated sections.

Jerry

renegade800

Thanks for the info, I finally broke down and did some reading about dcc.  I had to admit I didn't know as much about as I thought I did.  Things are starting to click about how dcc works and I think I will break down and purchase an auto-reversing module and eliminate my Atlas switch and possible damage to my engines.  Again thanks everyone for the advise

Rick