News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sam's Set for 2007?

Started by Mark Oles, July 24, 2007, 11:20:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Oles

Hi Bachmann,

Is it too soon to ask about this year's Sams Club set? 

Thanks,

Mark

the Bach-man

Dear Mark,
It's always too soon. Any sets made for Sam's or anyone else are announced by them, not us. The announcements are made when they see fit.
Sorry!
the Bach-man

Mark Oles

No sweat, Bachmann! 

Thanks!

TJ-Lee

Sightings usually start getting posted in late October or early November. Sometimes later.

Best,
TJ

jsmvmd

Dear Mark, et al,

If you can find out who your local Sam's Club buyer is, he might cooperate with you and provide information. That is exactly what I did in good old Altooona 3 years ago.

Best Wishes,

Jack

tlnibert

My better half told me she's also buying a Sam's set this year.
tom

foureyes

I bought the Sam's set last Christmas.  Nice pairing of passenger cars and trolley.  Then I bought a Christmas Combine on evilbay.  Threw the track into a bin to use for indoor storage, and put the power pack aside for when I need a spare on my workbench.

Then I rolled up my sleeves.  Although the box said the cars were lighted, they weren't.  No battery boxes, no lighting, no wiring.

No problem.  I installed metal wheels and LGB power pickups in one of the trucks, and converted all three to LED lights.  I connected the cars with plug in wires that look at first glance like mu cables.  Paint the roofs a dark color to prevent the light from leaking through the plastic!

Next, replace all wheels with San-Val wheels so all my pax cars are the same height. Then I put kadee's on all cars and both the tender and the front pilot.  (VERY simple on the pilot, just take the dummy out and install an 820 in the pocket!

While I had the cars apart to install the lights, I removed the screws holding the roofs to the car bodies, and installe brass pins from the outside.  Now I can get into the cars without disassembling them.

lastly, I noticed that there was no glazing in the end doors of ANY of the J&S cars, not the Christmas ones, not the old Bachmann kits, nor the ready to run ones I'd purchased.  So a little band saw work on some old kitchen light panels, and all my cars have glazed windows.

What would make those cars OUTSTANDING would be the new metal hand rails Bachman is putting on their newest cars.  There are photos of a Christmas car with the LED lighting and shot of other converted J&S cars on my flickr page.  Train44buff