News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EM1 body removal

Started by Vidshooter, February 28, 2012, 02:12:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vidshooter

Just took delivery of an EM1.  Bachmann's best engine yet.
Can anyone tell me how to get the body off the chassis?  Thanks

jonathan

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,18857.0.html

1.  Remove trailing truck.
2.  Screw under cab.
3.  Four screws under sand domes.
4.  Swiveling pipe thingy must be popped up between pilot and smoke box.

Do not attempt to remove the boiler weight.

Regards,

Jonathan

Vidshooter

blf

I'm ready to start my EM-1 conversion to a regular Tsunami, and after removing the loco shell, is it better to remove the entire metal board with the caps and inductors then rewire the motor conections, or just cut every thing off flush to the metal; I guess heat sink, and close her up . Bill

jonathan

Bill,

I am far from a electronics expert.  However, I believe it may not be necessary to remove the board in the locomotive.  I see a couple headlight resistors (probably necessary for the tsunami install) and a few caps.

You may be able to solder the plugs and wires, from the original tender board, directly to the tsunami decoder.  Then the loco/tender connections would remain the same.  Since the speaker is already in place, that makes the install even easier.

Then you can clip the caps, if it seems necessary.

Like I said, I'm no expert, but it seems logical.  Live long and prosper.

Regards,

Jonathan

blf

Jonathan, I believe those items on the board are capactors and inductors, not resisters. Therefore I will still need to add the resisters into the lighting circuts. Thanks for the help. What do you think? Bill

jonathan

Bill,

At this point, I'm in over my head.  The more savvy will have to chime in.

I did a Berkshire/Tsunami install, and was able to tap into the existing tender board for lighting resistors.  It was an easy install.

The inductors look like resistors to me.  :)  I would have botched my own attempt to change things.  Think I'll leave mine alone.

Regards,

Jonathan

Vidshooter

Bill,
You need the board because it has the connectors for the track power, but you dont need the caps and inductors.

So, bypass them:

Unsolder the motor wires from the motor and from the M+ M- pads on the board that the large socket is soldered to at the rear bottom.

Solder new wires from the motor to the M+ M- pads on the socket board.

Erik

blf

Thanks Eric: Think I will leave a lead coming from the board and splice onto it from the motor. Bill