News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

0-6-0 tanker

Started by donald frigo, February 29, 2012, 09:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donald frigo

thanks for the responces...i was wondering about the loco's slow speed control, noise level etc. i will be using this on dc power..thanks

Tom M.

Mine runs very smooth.  There is a slight bit of gear noise because all the gearing is exposed at the front of the cab.  As such, there isn't anything to muffle the noise.  Even though it has 6 wheel electrical pickup, it still wants to stall at times going through some turnouts.  The loco's wheelbase is quite short so if the turnout's frog is not powered it sometimes looses electrical contact there.

It will pull 5-8 cars on straight and level track.  If it encounters much of a grade that will be cut in half.  A grade of 2% or more and you're down to pulling a single car.

Tom

jerryl

Really needs more weight. Will help w/ elec. contact & pulling power

CNE Runner

Like all short-coupled locomotives (GE 44 Ton, GE 45 Ton, 0-4-0) the Bachmann 0-6-0T would benefit from live frog turnouts (think Peco Electrofrog). The extra bit of wiring, and SPDT power routing, is worth the improved running characteristics of these small locomotives. All turnouts, on my Monks' Island Railway are of the Electrofrog type - leaving only the double-slip and crossing as insulated frog units. While the double-slip turnout works flawlessly, the crossing is a never ending source of contention.

Don, if you have chance would you measure the length of your Bachmann 0-6-0T (less couplers)? [Either metric or SAE units will do.] I have admired this locomotive for some time and would purchase one if it was the same length as my Bachmann GE 45 Tonner.

Thanks,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"