News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ Track question for the Bachman

Started by Ten Wheeler, August 21, 2007, 11:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ten Wheeler

Can Digitrax decoders (DS-64) be used to control EZ Track turnouts ?

Ten Wheeler

Thanks Hunt for the fast response... but after reading Murph's question to the B'man (a question or two earlier on the forum), I was a little confused.

I thought I had it straight before, that I could use a Digitrax power source, with a Digitrax stationary decoder to control EZ track turnouts and not have to use a "DC" power source... but after Murphs Q&A I wasn't so sure.

If my original thought was correct, I'd appreciate a "green light" from you on that one... as I got slowed up with some hospital time after a couple of small strokes, and I am just now getting back to the track work.

Thanks again...   Bob

Hunt

Hi Bob,
Your use of the phrase "Digitrax power source" makes me a little uneasy that you may not have a proper picture in your mind’s eye how some of the DCC components work together.  I feel you are interchanging "Digitrax power source" and "Digitrax command station." You should not as they are not the same thing.

First, since you have E-Z Tack Turnouts with remote control switch, ask yourself why you want to use DCC control of the turnouts.

Second, if what you want is DCC control of turnouts then go to http://www.digitrax.com/prd_statdec_ds64.php and download PDF Version 2.0 of the DS64 User's Manual.

Read it as many times as necessary until you grasp the required components and needed wiring. Be sure you understand were to connect each of the three green wires from a Bachmann turnout.

In the DS64 manual notice
QuoteThe DS64 can be powered off track voltage (12 to 16 volts AC or DC) via the
TRKA and TRKB connections on the front of the unit, through an externally
wired power supply using the AX1 and AX2 connections on the front of
the unit, or by using a 12V DC power supply such as the Digitrax PS12
plugged into the modular power connector on the back of the unit.

Auxiliary power can be added to the DS64 in two ways:
1. Plug a PS12 power supply (or 12V DC, 300ma equivalent power supply)
into the modular socket provided on the back of the DS64.
2. Connect a 12V DC, 300ma power supply to the AX1 (-) and AX2 (+) terminals on the front of the DS64.

I agree with Jim Banner’s suggestion that you not draw power for the DS64 from the tracks. Use a Digitrax PS12 power supply.

Ten Wheeler

Hunt... Thanks again for all your help. First off let me run through my equipment list: I have a Digitrax Zephyr, four DS-64 stationary decoders, four PS-12 power supply's, plus the EZ track turnouts that I need to power & control.

I will "pour over" the Digitrax DS-64 owners manual until I have it memorized chapter and verse... it's just that for some reason when I read the forums Q and A for Murph's question, I was suddenly was doubting my game plan and just needed clairification.

I am back on track once again, and should be fine thanks to your, and Jim Banner's help. 

THANKS AGAIN !!!    Bob