News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2012 Catalog - F3's

Started by tsched, March 03, 2012, 12:26:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stationmaster12

I don't have any Williams locos...yet. I know they are the best value out there. Money is tight, so I'm trying to decide on "just the right one" to get. I particularly like the F-3. I'd love to see it in Atlantic Coast Line purple and silver. I know they offer this scheme in the F-7, But I still prefer the looks of the F-3.
Keep God first in all that you do.

tsched

Itching to see (and BUY!) these.  Any ETA?  Thank you.

r0gruth

Quote from: M1FredQ on March 28, 2012, 10:53:08 AM
Recently my son son wanted me to pick up the new Lionel Nation No.7 In it there
was a reference to a F-3 Santa Fe in Black with the Red Warbonnet. The narrator said
there was never a "real " Black and Red.

Wel, Over Christmas I saw anadd for Williams F-3 in Black/Red and I jumped on it!
It was my FIRST purchase of a Williams locomotive. We were wowed and have
subsequently ordered a number or other Steamer and Diesel locomotives as well as a GG-1.

In the course of our readings we read in other sources that Santa-Fe did not have a Blacl/Red F-3

WELL

The other day while grocery shopping my son comes running over to me with the latest release from
TRAINS magazine. He was all exited to show me that on page 45 of the special release by the TRAINS folks
titled, "TRAIN WREAKS" Special2012-Derailments that changed history, There in living color is a Santa Fe F-3
A and B units derailed and in BLACK  instead of silver!!!!!!!!!!!! The caption refers to the train being a "Chief"!!!!!!!!!
Well that black/red is really nice looking on the layout and runs well with both a passenger set up or freight set up.
Williams is way ahead on this one and I am sooooooo glad they produced it. Now you have your documentation to back
this up!!

Thanks Bachmann/Williams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have read that Lionel did have catalog with pictures that looked like a red and black scheme.This has been dicussed many times.

In reference to the photo in "Train Wrecks" it is probably caused by the angle and the direction of the light.I have seen photos of the same red and silver units in photos taken of the same train at different times or location that do have the dark look.
Roger

M1FredQ

Stationmaster--you are spot on about the F-3 in ACL

I have come to appreciate that rail line and color scheme very much.

One of the web sites I was on showed a picture of a restored ACL F-7(?)

and those co;lors were awesome

I really hope WBB seriously considers a short run on ACL using the F-3.

The F-3 is so classic and even today I think its design still holds up.

When I think of a passenger diesel engine its that design that comes to mind!!

I also would hope WBB comes out with the Aluminum passenger cars for those engines too!!!!!!!

Almost all the engines I have purchased in the last 2 years since my 8 year old son

got me back into this wonderful hobby have been WBB. I am always impressed with

the quality and attention to detail as well as the packaging !!!! Not to mention they

are priced so that the wife doesn't think you have gone off your rocker!!!!!

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

vern1959

Here is another F3 shot of the B&M McGinnis paint-not really crazy about it but this will make a unique addition to my loco roster!
         Vern

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1086065

M1FredQ

The photo Vern has above : that would make a nice train SET!!!!!!!!!!

raider409

As long as WBB are in the mood of new paint schemes for the F3's, how about Soo Line maroon and yellow.  Now there's a handsome locomotive.  Any possibilities?

http://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/0/8/5/7085.1252874506.jpg
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=195831&nseq=24

tsched

Was thinking how fun it would be to see a matching set of 60' passenger cars for those Boston & Maine F units.  I realize there never were any blue and white schemed passenger cars on the B&M but who cares?  The other manufacturers do silly stuff all the time, like making full-length dome cars for railroads that never had any.

Mike_AA9ZY

Personally, I'm waiting for the Deramus F-3 paint scheme. WBB are you listening? 3 railroads, same paint, different roadnames. Now, if we could a caboose to match...!

phillyreading

Quote from: Mike_AA9ZY on November 06, 2012, 11:20:23 AM
Personally, I'm waiting for the Deramus F-3 paint scheme. WBB are you listening? 3 railroads, same paint, different roadnames. Now, if we could a caboose to match...!

Deramus RR? I looked up William N. Deramus on Wikipedia, he is listed as former president of at least one of the following railroads I have listed by number.

Do you mean one of the following; (1) Chicago Great Western/ Chicago and North Western, (2) Missouri Kansas & Texas a.k.a. Katy, (3) Kansas City Southern?
Of those three I beleive only the KCS is still in operation according to Wikipedia.

Lee F.

Mike_AA9ZY

Deramus liked a particular color scheme and used it on all three railroads he ran: CGW, KCS, and MKT. The CGW is what I'm most interested in. The CGW used to run A+B+B+B+B+B+A (and longer) strings of F-3 engines. No one has ever done F-3's in Deramus Red in O gauge.

Stewart Hobbies did them in HO, but that's it. I believe all three railroads used similar cabooses as well.

DominicMazoch

CGW went into CNW.  CNW into UP

MKT into MP  MP into UP.  (Although the UP bought the MP in 1982, the official merger did not occur onto later.  MKT had some "poison bill" paper which the UP owned MP cleaned up before the MP "official" merger.

KCS is still on its own.

Mike_AA9ZY

Dom, you would think someone would make these F3's and a decent caboose. After all, if a person likes running F3 engines Deramus red would make some pretty engines.

We'll keep pitching it and maybe some day a manufacturer will listen. I hope!

Hi Stationmaster12,
            671 here. I own two F3 Williams by Bachmann ABA sets. Santa Fe Red Black War Bonnet and B&O ABA.
             Let me tell you this, they are great reproductions based upon original Lionel shapes and size. I have original Lionel Southern F3 (Green) and New York Central F3.
             The Williams uses a more modern electronic E-unit and a digital sound for horn and bell. The motors are vertical can motors with heavy flywheels. This produces a very smooth running and good coasting locomotive. With the use of two motors ( Just like the original Lionel units used two motors for exceptional pulling power) these units will pull a long line of cars.
              The F3 is great choice. I also can recommend the Williams by Bachmann Fa 1 locos. I have them in the ABA Louisville Nashville road name. Excellent detail, also good runners. Trainland on line has several road names still on sale ABA @199.99 for the ABA. Great price.

Good luck, 671