News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

confused

Started by gordy p, February 27, 2012, 06:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordy p

hi guys I'm new to large scale and have got a little confused.
i have got a plainsman starter set and have been looking at the spectrum range at1:20.3 are Thea's smaller or larger than my loco? also Wat scale is my loco?
cheers
gordy

az2rail

Your Plainsman is "G" gauge at 1:22.5 scale, if it is even that big. The 1:20.3 is actually "F"  scale narrow gauge using "G" gauge track. There is a size difference. Put side by side, 1:20.3 will be quite a bit larger.

Personally, I only run 1:20.3. But my Friend runs 1:22.5 cars with his 1:20.3 engines and they look fine. On the other hand, I think that 1:20.3 cars behind a 1:22.5 engine look to big. But that is my opinion only.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

gordy p

thanks for that i got confused by this auction he says that the set locos are bigger and i must admit it looks smaller in his photos
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-G-scale-Baldwin-Industrial-Mogul-81699-2-6-0-MINT-Lights-Sound-Smoke-/220922715245?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3370051c6d

az2rail

Let me confuse you some more. The engine you are looking at is a small engine. Even though it is larger in scale, it is probably the same size [or close] to your plainsman.
The mogal would look good pulling your train.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

Loco Bill Canelos

Gordy, The industrial locomotive your dealer is selling on Ebay is smaller than the set locomotives even tho it is 1:20.3 and the set Locomotive is 1:22.5.  This is because the Baldwin Prototype was a very small switching locomotive used in typical industrial service such as a chemical plant.  Compared to their bigger brothers on mainline railroads, the industrial is quite small in stature.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

gordy p

thanks guys. its never straight forward is it?
i don't suppose anyone has a picture of a 1:20.3 next to a 1:22.5 of the same type do they? also does that mean the spectrum loco doesn't work on the standard set curve radius?
cheers
gordy

Loco Bill Canelos

Gordy, Most welcome, 
The industrial mogul is not a Spectrum product.  Sorry no picture, but yes the loco will run on the set curves of 4 feet in diameter, but it and the set loco will look a lot better on wider curves!  Enjoy your new trains!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

scottychaos

The sentence in that ebay ad makes no sense..pay no attention to it, the guy doesnt know what he is talking about:

QuoteThis is one of Bachmanns premium finely detailed models in a 1-20.3 scale NOT the larger scale rubbish in their cheap sets.

Its not a spectrum engine, the spectrum line is the "top of the line"..
but there is still nothing wrong with it, its still nicely detailed..

QuoteThis is one of Bachmanns premium finely detailed models
no it isnt..it is nicely detailed, but it isnt the "premium" line (spectrum)

Quotein a 1-20.3 scale
exact scale is debatable..since it has no prototype it cant be said to have an exact scale..
its pretty small for 1/20.3..I wouldnt consider it a 1/20.3 scale model.

QuoteNOT the larger scale rubbish in their cheap sets.
that makes no sense..the "larger" models are the spectrum line, top of the line..which are not the "cheap sets"..
The Indy is from "the cheap sets" side of the catalog..not that there is anything wrong with that..

so yeah..thats a very poorly written description..makes no sense at all..

"Indy" aka "Industrial mogul" aka "Mining Mogul"..three names, same engine:

(thats a loco from the first run..not sure if the current (second run) have any different details)

Scot