News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Problem with Bachmann 4-6-0

Started by Railfan1588, March 04, 2012, 11:36:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Railfan1588

Hello,

I am having trouble with a Bachmann G scale 4-6-0 that I received in a starter set.  The set is the Suwannee River Special (cat. no. 90027).  I believe this set was catalogued sometime in the '90s. 

After running the engine for roughly 15 or 20 minutes, the locomotive will start to slow down, and then eventually stop.  Sometimes it would start moving again on its own, other times, I would have to give it a slight nudge.  It would start running again, and eventually repeat the same process.  At first, I just assumed it was a loose connection somewhere, so I decided to take the shell off.  All connections appear to be solid.  I tried jiggling various connections, and that had no affect on the performance of the engine.  Nothing appears to be binding in the drive train.  The can motor is warm when it does stop.  Is it possible the motor is over heating.  Is this type of problem I described common with these locomotives?

Bucksco

Sounds like the problem might be the transformer not the loco.

az2rail

If you don't have another transformer you can use, try and  take a voltage reading on the transformer when  the engine slows down. That will tell you if you need a new transformer

I don't believe the motor getting warm is an issue, unless it is hot. then that is bad.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

Railfan1588

Gentlemen,

I have been using an LGB transformer 50030 that is rated for 1/2 amp because I am using LGB track.  I still have the transformer that was supplied with the set.  Does that have a greater amperage output?

Ron Tremblay

Maybe it needs a good lube job ?                                                                             

Regards Ron

Loco Bill Canelos

It came out in 1996, and has the version 3 or 4 chassis.  Try a different transformer rated at at least one amp, if that does not work get back to us.  It is possible that your LGB power pack has a thermal circuit breaker which is overheating breaking the circuit, then resetting automatically as designed, but then breaking again.  This fault eventually breaks down the power pack til it fails altogether. 
This problem has occured with the Bachmann power supply as well, since it is designed the same way.

It is also very possible you loco drivers or gears are binding, causing a power surge which kicks the breaker out. As Ron says lube things up.
Check the gearbox on the loco and see if it is loose and causing binding, if so lube it and tighten it up as well.  If necessary use a twist tie to tighten the two halves together. 

Good luck!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Railfan1588

I determined it was the LGB power pack that was causing the train to loose power.  I could hear the the thermal circuit breaker popping when the train stopped. 

I pulled out the Bachmann power supply, and hooked it up.  I didn't have any trouble as a result of the larger VA rating.

Thank you for all the help.