News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-6-0 stalling

Started by avlisk, March 04, 2012, 01:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

avlisk

My new 2-6-0 HO DCC with sound steam loco is stalling on  my Atlas code 83 #6 turnouts. Seems to be when the tender wheels hit the frogs.  I bought the Hex Frog Juicer and powered all the frogs. This is working, as my Critter and 44 tonner now sail trough these frogs without a problem. But the 2-6-0 still intermittently stalls. Any thoughts or suggestions? And I thank you. Ken Silva

bobwrgt

Make sure the plugs between engine and tender are in all the way.
Then check to make sure the tender copper wipers are hitting the axles on the trucks and clean.
Then behind each drive wheel there are copper wipers that pick up current. Make sure these are hitting the back of the wheel on the metal part. The wipers might have to be bent or adjusted.

Bob

Jim Banner

After following Bob's suggestions, add a small drop of conductive lubricant (eg Bachmann E-Z Lube Conductive Lubricant) to each place a bronze wiper touches the back of a wheel or an axle.  Then add one small drop of same to each and every pickup wheel.  This stuff often does wonders for recalcitrant locomotives.

Jim 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

avlisk

Thanks, guys. Wipers all checked out good. Wheels are clean. Plug is seated securely. I'll go looking for an electrical contact lube this week and give it a try. Ken S.

glennk28

use a straight-edge annd see if the frogs rails are slightly higher than the adjoining rails.  I used to have this problem--certain locos would actually lift out of contact.  gj

Jerrys HO

avlisk-

Jonathan posted a while back having problems like this. Here is one of his post to show you what he came up with. I have done this to mine also just in case.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,18648.0.html

Jerry