E-Z Command and 3rd party Decoders: Won't run other than on program track?

Started by OGhoul, March 05, 2012, 10:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OGhoul

Hello!

I just received an E-Z Command set this evening, and I can't seem to get any of my locomotives to run on it.  Here's the background:

I have a basic loop of nickel silver EZ Track, which came with an MRC DC power pack.

I have a pair of Walthers Trainline GP9M's that I have wired with TCS T1 decoders and front and read LEDs.
I also have several P2K and Atlas Gold Geeps, all with QSI Quantum sound decoders.

All of these locomotives work flawlessly on DC.

I hooked the E-Z Command up following the directions, placed a GP9M on the track, and it did not respond.  I then wired up the loop as the programming track per the instructions (even used the same RadioShack-sourced resistor that was recommended.)

The GP9M responds to the programming, does its "click", and even allows me to run it around the track.  The lights do not light, Functions do not respond (it is only a 2 function decoder though), but the train runs (though with limited top-end).

If I return to normal track and choose my newly assigned address (or any), the locomotive does not respond.

If I place one of my Atlas Geeps on the track, nothing.  However on the program track, the sound -immediately- comes to life, though never does anything other than the initial diesel start up noises.  Programming it results in the clicks, but applying power, the loco creeps a little bit and that's all.  Switching back to regular track, the loco again doesn't respond.

Help!

Rangerover1944

Well now....Did you try a factory reset even though they should be on 03 or 3. To do this put one loco on the track at a time, hold down button 3 and the big red stop button at the same time, the red led should flash. Let go of both buttons. Push button 3, the loco should jump sort of, and you should be good to go. The lights should come on using the function button, then 10, should turn the lights on and off.

The sound loco's try the same procedure only after you programmed to 3, push the function button and turn off the sound by pushing button 8. Just to see if they run with just the motor on. You may very well be using all your 1 amp of power for those sound features, let us know!

I don't understand why you're using the resistor across the track, you best not do that unless your programing cv's. If your using EZ Command, you can't program cv's any how. The only programming you can do with EZ Command is an address 1-9 and consisting.

Don't have both the DC power pack and Bachmann DCC hooked up the same time!
Jim

OGhoul

Jim,

Thanks for the reply. I tried the factory reset on both locos (individually) to no avail.  The only time I received any response was when I used the resistor (per page 5 in the manual); the GP9M would jump, and would then respond to throttle, however no lights on the loco.

Following the instructions on page 3 to program did not work.  Neither locomotive responded on address 3 when first placed on the track and neither seemed accept being programmed to 3.

I tried the resistor because as the manual suggests, the GP9Ms are DC from the factory and I had to hard wire the TCS decoders into them.

Also, I'm not hooking the DC up at the same time.

I did hear back from TCS, the lights do not start automatically.  So I will need to test them when I am next able.

OGhoul