News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Electronic e units

Started by Coker, December 12, 2011, 12:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coker

Will the modern electronic e units work with a post war AC Motor, if so can you provide a wiring digram,

phillyreading

The modern electronic E units or circuit boards may work but there is some re-wiring that is involved, I don't know the details.
My advice is to buy an older re-vamped, or rebuilt, E unit from a person or company that will rebuild your older E unit. Or send in your old E unit to be rebuilt. The reason I say this is because of knowing about AC electric motors, the field windings must be powered to produce a magnetic current. The older E units have this provision, not sure about the newer electronic circuit bards, also will a circuit board be able to handle the slightly higher wattage needed to energise the field coils?

Lee F.

Len

Dallee http://www.dallee.com/PDFs/DalleeCatalog54other.pdf makes electronic reverse units that will work with old AC motor locos. The #400, rated 4-amps, is for smaller single motor units. The #1400, rated 10-amps, will work with larger single motor steamers and dual motor diesel locos.

Wiring diagrams for various styles of AC motors are on the Dallee web site.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

tomplatten

The additonal question is--could you install Williams horn in an old Lionel 2033!

Len

It may fit if you remove the original battery holder and horn relay. You might have to drill a coupler of mounting holes though.

The question is whether that will leave room for the Dallee reversing board. I've never done both in a 2033, so I don't know. I've only done it with a 'big brother' 2333, which has more space to work with.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

RRaddict

TB II will fit into PW Diesels without a problem just remove the original mechanical horn and find a hot wire and ground it to the frame and you are all set.  Use tie wraps to hold in place but please insulate it from everything else. I have done it several times and it works great.