News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

adding weight to new model 2-4-2

Started by petertoot, March 08, 2012, 03:56:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petertoot

loco bill,you might be able to answer this,is adding weight to the new lyn 242 loco,possible,is it just a removal of the side tanks,how much more is safe for the motor,i see it flywheel equiped in the pics,have not taken tanks off yet,this is a great little loco,with emilys 2 coaches!!!thanks,peter ;D ;D ;D 8)

Loco Bill Canelos

I wish I could be of some help, hopefully someone else has experience adding weight to the 2-4-2 and will add a comment. 

I personally have never liked putting more weight in my engines, because of wear & tear, but many I know do it regularly.

Glad you are having fun with your 2-4-2.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Jon D. Miller

Peter,
Use your imagination to add weight.  Segmented tire weights that stick on can be used.  Also, the steam and sand domes could be filled with lead shot.  Just make sure the lead shot is held in place so none of it drops out into the locomotive.  Five minute eposy could be used to secure the lead shot.

There should be some room inside the boiler for small pieces of the tire weights.  Also weight could be added along the sides of the cab walls.  Once these have been installed they can be painted to blend in.

With a little work you might be able to add about a pound of weight.  On the original Lynn I was able to gain about a pound of weight.  Never had a gear problem with that added weight.

The new all metal gear train should be able to handle extra weight without any damage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_c8nmBEsqM&list=UUuE5ry07wREY2joWnKiOtRw&index=4&feature=plcp

This is a short video of the new 2-4-2T with three modified J&S coaches in tow.

Just remember the little 2-4-2T will never be a stump puller.

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

petertoot

many thanks for the info,video was great,i dont want them to pull to much,as you say the drive train should be good for around 4-5 normal box cars,or logging train,trouble is i have to many locos,so none get long hours up,thats all,cheeers,peter :D :D :D