News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

n-scale locomotive roster

Started by n-scale chesapeake & ohio, March 10, 2012, 10:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

n-scale chesapeake & ohio

over the process of several months of using a spectrum 2-10-2 and 2-8-0 i have noticed several issues. number 1, the valve gear tends to loosen over time. number 2, the motor got LOUDER over time (slightly). but after lots of run time and several tweaks here aqnd there they run great. i strongly recommend these locomotives for anyone looking for a cheap yet efficient steam loco fleet.
models the C&O in 1945-55 happily in Canada :D

kewatin

gret info,could you elaborate on the tweeks&tune-ups you did as i too have some bachmann 2-10-2,2-8-0 &some 4-8-2 mountains. what specificaly do you do to the valve gear? after break-in my units have about 15 to 20 hrs and after resetting the start voltage to 0 as bachmann likes to set their;s at 10 i find my slow speed  control is so much better. these locos are trmendous operators and smooth running to this point.i agree about miminal motor noise ,but in my case i believe their is a certain ammount of sound being transferred from loco thru kato track and 1 in base pinf foam board. looking forward to seeing your tweeks post and will thank you in advance. excellent post.
REGARDS&LATER  KEWATIN

n-scale chesapeake & ohio

i added a spring in the front truck and am going to add bullfrog snot as a replacemant for the traction tires.
models the C&O in 1945-55 happily in Canada :D

skipgear

Quote from: n-scale chesapeake & ohio on March 11, 2012, 06:16:32 PM
am going to add bullfrog snot as a replacemant for the traction tires.

Waste of time. Traction tires will out pull snot. Snot is a good solution when there are no traction tires as an option but it does not out perform good rubber traction tires.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950