News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

80Ton 3 Truck Shay 2?

Started by dampfloko, March 11, 2012, 02:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dampfloko

Two questions on the shay. How do you remove the boiler in order to lubricate the armature shaft and the other internal shafts/gears?
Are all 6 axles supposed to be driven off the drive shaft? On my unit the front axle and the 2 axles under the coal bunker freeewheel. The corresponding bevel gear spins on the driveshaft. This unit has very little time on it. Wondering if I should send it back? 

Tom M.

Removing the boiler is very difficult.  If you haven't taken locos apart before, don't do this as your first one.

First, to minimize the potential for damage, you should remove all 3 truck from the frame.  At a minimum, you need to remove the front and middle truck to get access to the screws that hold the cab and boiler to the frame.  The exploded parts diagram that came with the loco is helpful to identify the exact screws you need to remove.  You want to be careful and not remvoe the screws that hold the motor/mounts to the frame. As I recall, there are 5 screws that you have to remove to free the cab and boiler from the frame.  The screw holding the front of the boiler is hidden by the electrical pickup plates for the front truck.  You need to slip this plate off the bolster to get access to the screw.

All 3 trucks should be powered.  It sounds like you have cracked drive gears.  The parts store sells a replacement kit that provides all 3 geared sideframe assemblies.  I think it costs $30 plus shipping.  You might as well replace all 3 while you have the trucks off the loco.  Only a single screw holds the sideframe in place, but the truck wants to completely fall apart when you do it.  Work slow and carefully.

In total, you can expect the entire process to take you at least 2 hours.  That's how long it takes me, and I've already done two and I have a third Shay I need to repair later today.

Good luck,

Tom

dampfloko

Thanks for the info Tom. Does the lifetime warranty apply to the drivetrain? If so, wouldn't it be cheaper to pay the $25 charge and send it back to Bachmann for repair or replacement?

Tom M.

Yes, you can do the lifetime warranty for $25.  That's exactly what I did for a 4th Shay.  However, it took them 2 weeks to acknowledge receipt of the item.  This was done with a postcard stating it would be a minimum of 8 more weeks until I could expect any further information about it.  So, I am going to have a loco out of hand for around 3 months.  On the others, I simply found it better to purchase the drive parts and do the work myself.  That way, I would only down for a couple of weeks total.  But, I am a highly skilled and very experienced modeler and have the tools and experience necessary to perform the work.  (No, I am not boasting.  I just want to set the expectation that tearing into this loco should not be considered a trivial task)

Regards,

Tom

richg

Geared Steam

Quote from: dampfloko on March 11, 2012, 03:47:35 PM
Thanks for the info Tom. Does the lifetime warranty apply to the drivetrain? If so, wouldn't it be cheaper to pay the $25 charge and send it back to Bachmann for repair or replacement?

I wouldn't return it, I would pick up a set of sideframes from the parts store and replace them, it's very easy to do, just remove the trucks (1 phillips each) then 1 screw per truck, it's fixed.

If you returned it chances are since they are out of production they may offer to replace it with a Climax, but a quick phone call to them will confirm, I have always found the service dept. to be very friendly and great to work with.