News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Norman, Sidney, and Paxton

Started by Cheeky_ULP, March 12, 2012, 02:00:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheeky_ULP

(I'm gonna be labeled crazy for this one)

I've been pondering lately, and this is the result. While there already is a wish list thread (somewhere out there), I've made this its own topic since new topics usually get better attention and can keep the discussion about these engines.

I know it's been widely theorized Bachmann will make Arry and Bert, but personally, I've never cared much for the duo. They're not a classic character (minus one Season 5 role, but it's too different from who they're known as today), and are only really around as "stock" characters to make comments about the 'steamies.' Is there really anything interesting about these two?

Meanwhile, there's Norman, Sidney and Paxton.

Paxton and Sidney are a curious subject. We've seen next to nothing of Sidney yet, but Paxton already looks like he's going to have a significant role in Blue Mountain Mystery, and one that isn't just "Hey I'm a Diesel, I'm bad, I make fun of steam engines." He has me quite interested. I have a feeling the whole trio will have a role in this upcoming special.

Like Arry and Bert, Paxton and Sidney can be made from modifications to Diesels tooling. Both are individual characters with their own colors and unique faces, which I think that sets them apart from the likes of "twins" Arry and Bert, and Splatter and Dodge in a refreshing way.

Norman however, is who I have my main attention on. If Bachmann made Sidney and Paxton, without a doubt they'd make Norman. What does that mean though? It means a Ready to Run No. 11001. For those who don't know, it's a Bullied diesel shunting locomotive that eventually got scrapped, but survives in culture as Dennis from Season 9, and now Norman. This would mean we get a ready to run, cheap, affordable model of a piece of Bullied history. To add, this means if Dennis returns in the near future, then all Bachmann would have to do is repaint Norman, give him a new face, and voila, Dennis! Once again, two engines for the price of one.

Sadly, Norman hasn't been a huge player yet in any story, unfortunately. None of these diesel engines have had a role -quite- worthy to warrant a Bachmann model yet. I'm not sure what the circumstances were that got a Hornby Dart into existence, but if it means a RTR model of No. 11001 and unique Class 08s, I'm up for these engines to be made by Bachmann. Here's hopes that these new diesel engines get more roles in future episodes, to warrant an eventual release.

Judging by Dart though, it's hard to say if it was just the fact Hornby had a close enough tooling, or if HiTs marketing felt Dart could be a good seller. Then again, Spencer got a Bachmann model during a time when he only had 2-3 episode appearances in total. Another thing to notice is that engines that appear in CGI, even supposed "one offs," tend to appear a lot in cameos and minor roles in later episodes. CGI is changing the game of appearances in this show.

What do you guys think? Would you rather these guys after reading this, or Arry and Bert?

Calebtrain

:-X I'd kinda rather have Arry and Bert.  :-X You made good points, but I still would rather have Arry and Bert over those three.  :-\
http://www.youtube.com/user/Calebtrain

I am always willing to help the best way I can. :)

ClearwtaerMK2

Sindey,Paxton & Norman all deserve to have greater roles. BTW If bachmann decides to make a charlie then we'd get a ready to run manning wardle,That way I could modify it into Silly Billy...BOT

Churchill8F

Quote from: ClearwtaerMK2 on March 12, 2012, 08:46:16 AM
Sindey,Paxton & Norman all deserve to have greater roles. BTW If bachmann decides to make a charlie then we'd get a ready to run manning wardle,That way I could modify it into Silly Billy...BOT

There are kits you know, most of which aren't too hard to build.

Jack
My Blog: 8F Works

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: Churchill8F on March 12, 2012, 09:35:59 AM
Quote from: ClearwtaerMK2 on March 12, 2012, 08:46:16 AM

There are kits you know, most of which aren't too hard to build.

Jack
Any links? I'm interested too. Building a chassis has always been something I've been a bit afraid to do though. I don't think any No. 11001 kits even exist, so Bachmann making Norman would be a real special treat. I'm quite fond of the livery of Sidney and Paxton too, especially since they're unique, rather than two mustard and green engines.

Stepney the 'Bluebell' Engine

Judith Edge kits make 11001.
http://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/shop/dc_kits/judith_edge_kits/southern_railway_500_hp_0_6_0_shunter.php

So if anyone is looking build Dennis and Norman, would be worth the money, they also do a complete kit for around £100, but the link above is just for the basic kit, you would need to supply the wheels and motor, the wheels they recommend are the same ones used on the Southern Railway 'USA' 0-6-0T kit.
"Bluebells Forever!" - Stepney the 'Bluebell' Engine
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Blog: http://theworldofthomasmodelling.blogspot.com/
The Forum: http://worldofsodor.proboards.com

Cheeky_ULP

Thanks for the link, looks out of my price range though unfortunately. $90 USD.

Stepney the 'Bluebell' Engine

No worries, and i agree that Paxton is a particularly nice color, something a bit more lively than the dull bold paintwork used on the rest of the Diesels.

Same with Sidney, though i still would like to know when they actually intend to put him in an episode, since he's hardly had any spotlight..
"Bluebells Forever!" - Stepney the 'Bluebell' Engine
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Blog: http://theworldofthomasmodelling.blogspot.com/
The Forum: http://worldofsodor.proboards.com

JLK2707

Did anybody notice that Paxton's face is rectangular whilst Diesel's is square? Also, are Arry and Bert's faces also square like Diesel's?

JWR3001

I've never actually seen Norman, Sidney or Paxton on TV, but just by looking at them I can tell that they have much more depth of character than Arry & Bert...Arry & Bert are just too generic for me, they were just shadows of Diesel, but I suppose my familiarity with them over Paxton, Sidney and Norman gives them the advantage in this debate (I also prefer Arry & Bert's colour scheme over these newer characters).

I guess I have to bring myself up to speed with the newer series of Thomas & Friends before I can make further comments...

JWR3001

Shawn

Quote from: JLK2707 on March 16, 2012, 08:35:58 AM
Did anybody notice that Paxton's face is rectangular whilst Diesel's is square? Also, are Arry and Bert's faces also square like Diesel's?

They are all rectangles, but paxton's looks taller. Also, sidney's face is arched!

ClearwtaerMK2

O.k. How does paxton's face look taller? :(

Anthony P2

it probably looks taller because it's not as wide as diesel, arry, or bert's