Q for the B-Man? Will the Sound Tender from the 2-10-0 connect to the 2-8-0?

Started by Searsport, March 12, 2012, 05:08:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Searsport

Here's the situation:

I have a small shunting layout built for diesels which I am adapting to Ma & Pa steam 1952 (year I was born and the last 4-4-0 (#6) was retired), with DCC and sound. 

The Ma & Pa still had three Baldwin 2-8-0s (#41, 42, 43) which it retired between 1952-57.  They looked quite close to the Bachmann 2-8-0 (except for the headlight being on top of the smokebox), but seem from photos to have had a shorter tender.

The crucial headshunt in my yard will only hold the Bachmann 2-8-0 plus a 40' boxcar (I have a Western Maryland 2-8-0). If the tender were a bit shorter a 2-8-0 could shunt a 50' boxcar.

The 2-10-0 and the high boiler Baldwin 4-6-0 both have a tender which looks shorter and would not disgrace a 2-8-0 on a shortline, though it is not quite the same as the Ma & Pa 2-8-0 tender, so I am thinking of acquiring one of these to pair with an unlettered 2-8-0.  It would also make a contrast with the WM "visitor" (the WM met the Ma & Pa at York, PA).

My questions are: 

Are the 2-10-0 and high-boiler 4-6-0 tenders the same? They look quite similar, but the unlettered, sound equipped  4-6-0 seems hard to find now, whilst the unlettered, sound equipped 2-10-0s seem more available and cheaper.

Would these tenders plug directly into the 2-8-0?  I have read on this board that the wiring of the connector pins differs between Bachmann loco classes, and I do not want to plug it in and fry the decoder.  What wiring changes would I need to make?

Are the sounds pre-programmed into the 2-10-0 tender "meatier" than those programmed into the 4-6-0 tender, as might befit the bigger engine?

Alternately, as Bachmann already seem to have made quite an investment in the Ma & Pa, how about you issue the 2-8-0 with the shorter tender in Ma & Pa livery, even if only as a special edition run, to complete the fleet?  It would be nice if you could move the headlamp rather than me have to do it!  (It just needs the lamp from the 4-4-0 or 4-6-0).  And a painted tender would be so much better than waterslide transfers from the Ma & Pa Society.

Hoping you or fellow steam railroad CEOs can help with advice, if not with a special run Ma & Pa 2-8-0!

TIA, Bill.

rogertra

Questions regarding tender swapping are asked on the board over and over and over and over and over again.

I suggest you click on the search button above and enter "tenders".

You will find 24 pages of topics discussing tender swapping and your question will be answered there, many times over.  :)

Pacific Northern

Pacific Northern

Doneldon

Sears-

The bottom line on switching Bachmann tenders is to switch the electronics from one tender to another to be sure it'll work. Just swapping tenders with their original electronics will often result in a failure of the loco to work.
                                                                                                  -- D

electrical whiz kid

If need be; any decoder can be wired to any locomotive, given that the values are all compatible (track voltage, etc).  Decoders can be hooked up wire for wire to at least the motor tender and head lights, etc;  it just means taking stuff apart to get to the leads, identifying them, and splicing wire for wire together; you just have to be careful and take your time doing it. 
Rich