News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Forney amp draw

Started by bob kaplan, March 12, 2012, 11:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob kaplan

What amp draw should you expect from the Forney pulling 5 Bachmann box cars on straight level ground?  Thanks for the help.

Jon D. Miller

Bob,
I don't have any amp draw figures for the Forney pulling 5 Bachmann cars.

Don't know if these figures will be of any help.  Full slip is 1 amp at 6.70 volts.  Stall is 2 amps at 8.05 volts.  These figures were taken when the Forney was new before converting it to RCS plug & play.

With the RCS system/battery power the Forney handles 5 Bachmann 1:20.3 freight cars on level track with no problem.

When Tony comes on this site he can no doubt give you some better figures since he's worked with these locomotives.

JD

Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Tony Walsham

Thanks for the confidence JD.

Unfortunately the Forney is one Bachmann loco I have never worked on.  However your figures seem about right.  The RCS PnP is current limited to 3 amps and I have never had a problem with them overloading in pretty well any PnP socket equipped locos.

My estimate would be between 1 and 2 amps max with the train listed.
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

bob kaplan

Thank you for the reply....and can i ask for some free advice??

My Forney, on level track, draws nearly 2 amps...at 14 Volts...has acted this way from the day i got it....It seems to draw more than other engines....including my 2-6-6-2 and is not as "responsive" to control as other engines.  i use track power on an indoor layout.  Since i know nothing of electrail problems and i am timid about dismalting the engine myself...Should i send it to Bachmann and have them look at it?  Or is it "normal?"
  Again...thanks for any help you might offer.

Loco Bill Canelos

You didn't say if it was pulling anything, but if it was not, my opinion is that while running light it should pull no more than 1/2 amp starting and between 1/4 & 1/2 amp while running.  Definitely not 2 amps at 14 volts.   Before sending it in I would check for binding in the mechanism and lube all parts of the drive train and gears, and make sure all wheels are checked for gauge.  Also check to see if the drivers are out of quarter.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

bob kaplan

Thanks for your help all....definitely something is amiss.