News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ Track layout

Started by bigalspitzer, March 15, 2012, 10:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigalspitzer

I am interested in starting a layout using ez track since I need wide sweeping curves in order to operate my larger articulated locomotives. Im starting out with a simple elongated oval with straights on the sides and at the ends which I may want to replace at a later date with switches to expand it. how many pieces do I need to accomplish this task.

jonathan

Bigal,

You did not mention how much surface area you have to work with, like 4X8 sheet for example.

Typically, the larger radius curves, like 22" radius or higher, require 4 pieces to make a 90 degree turn, or 16 pieces to complete a circle (this is HO Scale I assume).

For articulated locomotives, 24" radius or higher is recommended for smooth running.  While some artics can run on 22" radius, reliable running can become iffy.

For a 4X8 plywood sheet, 22" radius is the largest turn that can fit on the sheet.

More specifics will help an actual estimate.

Regards,

Jonathan

bigalspitzer

Im thinking on using bachmann ez track parts #44509 and #44519. This will give me wide sweeping curves that I desire to operate on. I have some pretty big equipment and I want to make sure that they all can operate including my Bachmann Spectrum H-7 can operate without any problems. I have not made the bench work yet as I need to see which track pieces I need before I figure my layout size. If you could also provide me with the layout size based on the track pieces that also would be helpful. Thanks!  :)

mhampton

You've certainly picked some "wide, sweeping" curves to use, that's for sure.  The 44519 is a 26" radius and will require a space no less than 56" in diameter to make a complete circle (with allowances on the outside).  The 44509 (33.25" radius) will take that out to nearly 6'.  You're obviously not going to be putting this on a single table top.  With curves this broad, you'd be well served with an around-the-room shelf-type layout.

NarrowMinded

Down Load the free version of ANYRAIL it includes Bachmann track in the track Section and will help you a lot, the free version is limited to 50 items but will still help you with what you are doing.

the ovals below are using your part numbers and the grids are 12" squares so that's a 6'X 10' area shown

Track & Objects
44509, H0 Bachmann E-Z Track 44509. Curve (2/3) radius 33 1/4", angle 12º   30
44511, H0 Bachmann E-Z Track 44511. Straight 9".                                   20
44519, H0 Bachmann E-Z Track 44519. Curve radius 26", angle 18º                   20

Track lengths
44509, H0 Bachmann E-Z Track 44509. Curve (2/3) radius 33 1/4", angle 12º   17 13/32 '
44511, H0 Bachmann E-Z Track 44511. Straight 9".   15 '
44519, H0 Bachmann E-Z Track 44519. Curve radius 26", angle 18º   13 39/64 '

Total track length:    46 1/64 '

NM-Jeff

Doneldon

bigal-

The curves you have selected are, indeed, broad, sweeping ones. You can run anything on such broad curves and your trains will look great on your rights of way. Be aware that you will need to maintain your gentle curves through your turnouts (switches) as well or they could become choke points or places where you experience derailments. Also, such broad curves are not at all suited to a railroad on a table or platform because you won't be able to reach tracks which can be set far back from the edges of such a huge space. Consequently, you should consider a layout which runs around the perimeter of your train room or is in the form commonly referred to as "walk-in layout." However, such a layout is a major undertaking and an enormous expense.

Particularly as someone who is new to the hobby, you may find yourself feeling discouraged and losing interest in your layout because it will take so long (many months to years) before it approaches completion, or even a point where you can run trains. Although I respect your plans, I also strongly urge you to try a small layout first, perhaps the ubiquitous 4'x8' plywood table or a linear layout which will allow you to switch cars around, make trains, break them down and so on. That will help you decide if you are sufficiently motivated to build the kind of layout of which the large majority of model railroaders only dream. What you seem to be considering is more like a club layout which can benefit by the time and financial input only groups can offer.

Please understand that I am in no way trying to discourage you from model railroading; on the contrary, I'm trying to help your forray into this great hobby be a rewarding one which will hold your interest for a long time.
                                                                                           -- D