Is the "White Pass & Yukon" 4-6-0 a "new & improved" Annie??

Started by emjayw, March 16, 2012, 06:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emjayw

Does anyone here know if the 4-6-0 included in the "White Pass & Yukon " set has the new & improved gear set and lead truck ala the separate Annies for sale in the catalog?  I'm riding the fence here, as I have a chance to get one or the other.  Thanks,  Mike in TX

Loco Bill Canelos

Mike,

The one in the WP&Y set is not one of the new ones with the metal gears and new style front truck.  It does have the exact same gear box as the new one but the gears in the old ones are a type of engineering plastic rather than the all metal of the new.

The one in the set is a great runner and has a history of great reliability.  The Version 5 chassis in it has been out for 12 years now and very few problems have been reported on it.

If your layout has very tight curves you might be better off with the new.   The new Version 6 chassis with the metal gears and new front truck has only been out since last November, so it has yet to really prove itself. Early reports are great so far though.

Still it is a tough choice!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

emjayw

Thanks Bill, I guess I'll spring on the "new and improved" version in the black, unlettered version.  That way I can decide exactly what it'll represent on my small layout and I can compare it directly with my V5 Durango & Silverton.  Mike in TX

Seaboard Air Line Fan

I asked this on the "My Large Scale" forum, but so far no answers.

Here's the meat of my post there:

I was looking at the Bachmann offerings and saw they have a nice 4-6-0 available, item number 91667.

I also see their RTR sets and was wondering if the engine in the RTR set item number 90059 (White Pass & Yukon) was the same engine as 91667.

Both writeups say their the "Anniversary Edition" engines.  Are they or does one have advantages over the other?  The pricing was almost identical, but item 91667 is just the engine and tender while 90059 is a complete RTR set with cars, track, and power supply.

Loco Bill Canelos

SAL Fan,

I cannot find Item 91667 in my database, perhaps you can give more description info.  I can only find 91601 to 91607, none of which are WP&Y.  This may be why you did not get an answer on MLS.

I am guessing you may have meant 91607 which is the new undecorated Version 6 Anniversary 4-6-0 just released last November and is on page 163 in the new catalog.  The 4-6-0 in the WP&Y set 90059 is a version 5 chassis.  If so the 91607 is the same as the set engine in the set except for two new improvements.  The 91607 has all metal gears in the gearbox while the other has plastic gears and the 91607 has a new front pilot truck which swings from a screw on the motor block while the other swings in a slot between the cylinders.

The new version 6 chassis has only been out since November, and has not had much service so, so far it seems to be a good runner.    The one in the set which is the Version 5 chassis has been out since November 1999 and has proven to be extremely reliable runner over the last 12 years.   If value is your objective the set is definitely a great value, but if you want the latest then the 91607 is looking good so far!!

Hope this answers your question.

Bill

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Bill,

My mistake, it was the 91607.

The price sure is right on the RTR set, plus I tend to run my trains slow so the plastic gears may not be a big issue for me.

I still haven't made up my mind, I still need to look at the individual cars, track and transformers to see what I want.  I have an old Troller Transamp 1, is 1amp good enough for these engines?

Loco Bill Canelos

SAL Fan,

So far the plastic gears have not been an issue on the Version 5 4-6-0.  I don't baby mine, but I don't go crazy either, and I do lube them once a year.  Also I keep the slot the pilot truck slides in well lubed and the wires clear of the pivot. 

The one amp power supply should be ok, but would be minimum. When broken in my 4-6-0 starts at about 1/2 amp and runs at 1/4 amp pulling 4 passenger cars on flat and level track.  Heavier loads and grades would probably call for more amps.

Bill

Seaboard Air Line Fan

What "scale" are the 4-6-0 and 2-6-0 engines?

Also, does Bachmann sell separate power packs and controllers for G gauge?

I noticed some engines specify 1:20.3 but others have no designation.

Loco Bill Canelos

The 4-6-0's are 1:22.5  the industrial 2-6-0 is 1:20.3

There are many items available.  Click on the Bachamnn Products listings  Then Large Scale to see them.

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Thanks again Bill!

Sounds like freight cars from Aristo-Craft and USA Trains will look fine with the Ten-Wheeler.

Full-scale/size Boxcars and tankcars are my favorites.  Which manufacturer would you recommend?  I don't plan on having a huge fleet, I'd rather have quality over quantity.  Half a dozen freight cars will suffice.

Bob

Loco Bill Canelos

The Aristo & USA scale out at 1/29 scale and to me are a bit to modern for the 4-6-0 which is 1:22.5, except for their classic lines.  Bachmann tank cars look great and so do the reefers, stock cars, gondolas and flats.  The Bachmann 8 wheel caboose with the nice interior is one of the nicest cabooses around.
If they look ok to you that is fine.  Just enjoy you trains. 

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Thanks Bill, you've been a HUGE help!

I'm sure to have more questions so stand by  ;D

Bob