News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

3 Truck Shay Tender Wire Plug Repair

Started by naptowneng, March 16, 2012, 08:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

naptowneng

Greetings:

The wire from the locomotive to the tender that terminates in a long white plug that is inserted into the front bottom of the tender has lost 3 or 4 of the tiny wires which fatigue and break at the back of the male connector.  While I could probably patch the wires up and try to put them back into the plug, it will likely happen again due to the small wires and lack of strain relief.  Has anyone come up with a more robust wire/plug installation or repair for this situation?

Thanks

Jerry

Tony Walsham

Whenever I do a 3 truck battery R/C installation I always leave those connectors in place.  I simply smear some silicone adhesive around the plug where the wires come out of the plug.  This provides strain relief to the wire.  Then the wire cannot flex at the pin itself.  So far as I know none of my conversions have ever failed.
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

Loco Bill Canelos

I have also seen hot melt glue used, but I like the silicone method better.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Jon D. Miller

I agree with Tony and Bill.

When I first received the three truck Shay silicone adhesive was placed around the plug wires where they exit the plug.  I've never had a problem with broken wires.

I should also mention that I use engine carriers for all engines that have tenders where wires go from the tender to the locomotive.  This eliminates the need to constantly plug and unplug the wires.  It seems most wires are broken by this constant pluging and unpluggine.

Once you repair the wires going to the pins then add the silicone as suggested and you should have no more problems with broken wires.

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

naptowneng

Gents-

Thanks for the consistent advice.  Will do.  Now to repair those tiny wires.  I saw a tip that says to use the small wires from the multiple old computer cables we all have around in a desk somewhere when you need a little wire for repairs.

Now to figure out how to get them into those little holes in the back of the plug......anyone know best way to do that? 

Jerry