News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Water Tanks

Started by OldStone, July 26, 2007, 10:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldStone

Am building a pair of water tanks (towers) for the O & W.  In some of the articles, photos, etc. I've read on the subject there is a spike, called a "finial" by one author, in the center of the roof, at the highest point.  None have mentioned lightning rods but it causes me to wonder.  Did they have lightning rods on RR water towers at the turn of the century?

japasha

Lightening rods would depend on the railroad and if there was electrical equipment handy. If the tank was metal, probably in areas that had a chance for thunderstorms.

Most turn of the century tanks did not as they were wood. Look at pictures of the D&RGW narrow gauge tanks and you will get a good idea of what they had.

Depending on the tank, you could have a conical, Hex or octagon shaped roof, gabled or flat.  The conical roofs were actually segments if you look closely.

I have used some Plasticville tanks for parts and built my own tanks. Not very difficult if you examine the pieces. The only rub is that you need a downspout which Grandt offers in their catalog.

Jim Pasha