News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

How are the turnouts wired and to what?

Started by LDBennett, March 27, 2012, 07:09:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LDBennett

We just got the N scale track set with four turnouts. We already have the smaller power pack with the AC output (I assume for switches). It came with no instructions on how to wire the turnouts.

Can some one post the instruction for the turnouts or explain in words how these four turnouts are to be wired?

LDBennett

the Bach-man

Dear LD,
Gang the four controllers together.  Run two wires from the leftmost controller to the AC terminals on the power pack.
Then run three wires from each controller to each individual switch.
That's all there is to it!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

LDBennett

Thanks for the info but I made a trip to the Hobby shop this afternoon. It seems the instruction are on the packaging. Since I bought the track set the packing was stripped off everything and loaded into a single foam box without any instructions. I looked at the back of a single turnout package in the store and there were the instructions. I had guessed that was the way but I did not want to short anything out. And it takes a heavy force to engage one controller into the other, I guess, and I did not want to break anything.

This is actually my grandson's train set but I promised to help him get it set up. We were stopped at getting the switches to operate and his bed time (he's 11 years old). We'll hit it Saturday for sure.

The other problem we had with no time to investigate is his little N scale Royal Blue engine was having a hard time getting through the switch (turnout) without derailing. Maybe it is too light?? We have the Rock Island Northern 4-8-4 coming soon and maybe it will be heavy enough to get through the switches without a problem.

I wish I had received your email sooner and I could have avoided going to the Hobby shop. Thank you anyway. What is crazy is that this is a long going problem (no instructions for the track system) as I found all kinds of questions exactly like mine with no answers. Bachmann offered no answer by email, just a promise to mail me something (It must be coming via snail mail).

LDBennett