News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Prototype?

Started by skooksteve, March 23, 2012, 06:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skooksteve

I see the term "prototype" used in message boards but I don't know what all it entails in regards to model railroading.
Steve from Corvallis, Oregon

Jerrys HO

SS-
When Bachmann makes a locomotive it is usually based on a prototype of the model. Meaning a GP40 let's say of Union Pacific, Bachmann and other companies use the full scale prototype to model the replica as best they can. Most modeler's finish the fine detailing on their own to make it even more like the prototype. Usually these modeler's are called rivet counter's by some.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/prototype

Jerry

rogertra

"Prototype" in the non model railroad world means the first or trial build example of a product.  The test bed if you will.

In the model rail world, "prototype" means the real thing.  What the Bachmann model you buy in the hobby shop was based upon.

skooksteve

Thanks guys. I think I've heard that "rivet counter" term once or twice, too.  :D

electrical whiz kid

There is a pretty definitive line that would separate those who build and operate model railroads, whether based upon a "prototype' or not, and the "scale rule richards" who seem to have too much time on their hands...
Rich  (no connection, please)
Rich

skooksteve

I think this hobby is about doing whatever toots your train whistle and enjoying the process. I really enjoy all the different aspect that a person can focus on based on their personal enjoyment.It does seem that for those who are extremely detail oriented it's a great outlet for that.

In terms of MRR layout I'm still wondering if prototype refers to attempting to recreate a specific railroad in full detail. Not just the rolling stock and locos, but all of it.

mhampton

Quote from: skooksteve on March 25, 2012, 04:09:13 PM
In terms of MRR layout I'm still wondering if prototype refers to attempting to recreate a specific railroad in full detail. Not just the rolling stock and locos, but all of it.

In a word, no.  To attempt to recreate a specific railroad in full detail would be virtually impossible - nobody has the kind of space available that would be needed for anything but an extremely short railroad.  Prototype only refers to the full size piece of equipment or area that our models are based on.

skooksteve

I guess what I was thinking (but not communicating that well) would be some part of a railroad scenario such as a railyard, lumber mill,  mining operation or that kind of thing as it exists or existed in real life, but I can see that prototype really refers to the trains themselves.

Doneldon

Quote from: skooksteve on March 23, 2012, 06:39:43 PM
I see the term "prototype" used in message boards but I don't know what all it entails in regards to model railroading.

Skook-

Not really possible. Even someth9ng as small as the elevated "loop" around downtown Chicago would require a building roughly 65'x60'. Just try to imagine the space you'd need for the Santa Fe with rails from Chicago to Los Angeles, San Diego and San Francisco.
                                                                                                                                                          -- D

mhampton

Quote from: skooksteve on March 25, 2012, 07:22:21 PM
I guess what I was thinking (but not communicating that well) would be some part of a railroad scenario such as a railyard, lumber mill,  mining operation or that kind of thing as it exists or existed in real life, but I can see that prototype really refers to the trains themselves.
The term "prototype" can refer to scenic and track elements, too, but you will probably still have to selectively compress whatever it is you are modeling.  Yard facilities alone can be several MILES long.  You would need 33' just to model one mile of N scale track.

ebtnut

Prototype can equally refer to the totality of a railroad.  Granted most of us can't model an entire railroad (unless maybe it's a short line and you're in Z scale).  But you can model pieces, such as a station scene or an on-line industry.  Large club pikes have even more flexibility.  Take a look at the Rensseear club in New York.  They modeled a number of complete scenes, including the palasaides of the D&H along Lake George.  I recall one pike in the press from the past where the modeler had a complete N&W engine terminal. 

Joe323

Just imagine how many feeder wires it would take to model a true scale prototype you would need mutiple thottles operators etc.

rogertra

Quote from: Joe323 on March 26, 2012, 04:14:04 PM
Just imagine how many feeder wires it would take to model a true scale prototype you would need mutiple thottles operators etc.

That's what most of us have done, but on a smaller scale than the prototype of course, who have moved beyond the "train set" and into the "operations" style of model railroading where every train, engine/locomotive, freight car etc., etc., has a purpose and a job to do. 

Those who have moved beyond just running trains.

skooksteve

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I learn a lot from you all.  Steve

M1FredQ

During Spring Break this last week .

A group of us families went to the Mu seam of Science and Industry in Chicago, Illinois.
I have always loved that mu seam. I have not seen the "new" model railroad display since
it was redone and I also wanted to see the restored U-505 German U-Boat and the Burlington Zephyr.

What a treat we had. The new layout is very impressive my 8 year old son ended up spending about an hour and a half
at that layout. We also were impressed at how the Burlington was so nicely restored. I remember a few years ago going to an Ice Cream  fund raiser to help raise money for the restoration of the B.Z. It was in really bad shape and looked terrible.
Now it looks better than it probably looked originally!!!!!!!!!!!