News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

track plans

Started by hudson488, March 25, 2012, 07:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hudson488

how do you transfer a track plan from paper to the layout? I've got a 4x8 layout

VidGuy069

Allot of it depends on the plans level of detail. Some plans are so detailed they tell you what piece of track connects to which other piece. (i.e. 3 9" straights, then 4 22" curve...)  My personal favorite by the way.  The other end is just a drawing of the overall shape of the plan.  It's up to you to figure out what piece goes where. These are fun because you get to adjust it to your own situation.  While not my favorite, they make for some intersting and challenging designs. Especially if you tend to redesign the plan as your laying your track.

Of course, that's just me.

VidGuy069
Courage is being the only one who knows you're afraid.

NarrowMinded

Download "Anyrail" layout program, Design your layout then print it 1:1, thats the easy way.  or you can just scale your drawing up.

NM-Jeff

hudson488

I've got the anyrail program how does that print to the scale?

NarrowMinded

Hundsen488,

Make it 1:1 with the bar in the lower right corner then hit print. it will print out the whole layout 1:1, with match marks to line up the pages.

Be aware it will take 68 pages to print a 4' X 8' layout.

Pages with Not track or objects on them will still get grid numbers and match marks printed on them.

With a little planning and using the print pages # in the printer options you can save some paper but its a little bit of a hassle, I just print them all.
NM-Jeff

M1FredQ

Are there any web sites that give some ideas to track plans???

My son and I want to have a separate double track so we can run 2 trains at the same time.
We would also like to perhaps have a third portion that is elevated.
Lastly we would like to have a railyard to keep extra stock not being used so we don't have to shelve it.
Our idea is since we switched to Fas-Track we can use the old tin-plate which has a nice petina color on
it for the railyard

Thanks everyone

phillyreading

Classic Toy Trains had a track plan issue a while back, that should  give you some ideas if you can locate that issue.
I prefer to free-lance my track plans, as I have many trains to run, over 12 engines & more than 125 pieces of rolling stock, and don't like the conventional trackplans.
Have a small fleet of Williams diesels, SD-45's and F-7's, mainly Reading RR, one set of Santa Fe F-7's(A-B-A, both powered A units) with the El Capitaan passenger cars for the Santa Fe RR.

Lee F.

M1FredQ

Thanks Lee

We have 12 x 8 feet we can work with.

I'll check out Classic Toy Trains to see if they have any lay-out ideas.

With Little lLeague a week away we figure Spring Summer is a good time

to get our lay-out together.

I have been buying those light weight doors the lumber yard sells for $5 because
they have slight damage. They have predrilled holes for the doornobs  which is great
for running the wires under the table.

I want to put some legs on instead of those cheap plastic horses we are using.

Any ideas let me know

thank You

NarrowMinded

For legs on your table you could get a length of 2" PVC pipe or larger, Buy  endcaps for the pipe.  drill through the endcaps and screw them to each corner under your Door/table, then just cut your pvc pipe to the height you want and slip them into the endcaps. no glue is needed. if you need to move the layout you can just twist and pull the legs out.

Use at-least three screws in the end caps to secure them.

BTW if I were adding legs I would put some in the middle for a total of six legs per door.

Also if you want to get "fancy" and make your table a little more stable you can add "T" fittings in the middle of the legs and add cross pieces.

NM-JEff

phillyreading

I haven't thought about using PVC pipe for legs, usually I use 2 X 4 inch wood between 6 to 10 feet long, and put 9/16 or thicker plywood on top with  2 inch #6 drywall screws through the plywood into the 2 X 4's. Depends on the number of 4 X 8 feet sheets of plywood that I use, but I use three 2 X 4's underneath, one at each end and one in the middle to give it more support.

Lee F.

M1FredQ

Great Ideas!!!!!!!!!!

Thank You

Doneldon

M1-

With 12x8 you can do a more flexible layout if you go around the walls than you can with a table layout. However, if you do the table layout, I suggest using fittings designed to attach pipe to a wall, and a thumb screw or two to firmly hold the pipe/leg in place. Put a cap on the bottom, install a t-nut and you'll have a convenient way to level your pike.

Another leg option for a non-fixed table layout is folding legs like the ones you find in school and church basements. They are strong and compact. Many are adjustable for height so you can put them way up for working underneath and then lower them to a suitable height for whoever is watching the action.

-- D

M1FredQ

I like all these ideas

I am looking more seriously at the around the walls as this would free up space in the center.

If I do around the walls I can have a much bigger layout. I will re-measure and post how much room I have.

The more I keep watching layout videos I think we would like 3 lines, it looks so realistic!!!

Thanks again