Installing sound decoder for Bachmann DD40AX Union Pacific n scale

Started by Zman2000, March 24, 2012, 01:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zman2000

What sound decoder do I purchase to install in the DD40AX Union Pacific n scale locomotive.  The description of this train says "DCC On board".  I need to know which one and if it is easy to install. 

Also which sound decoder for the N Spectrum 4-8-4 Class J, N&W #611. 

Please help.

Thanks

Ken G Price

Well at least it has a non sound decoder so it can be run. Did you do a search for sound decoders for the engine?
MRC, Soundtraxx and Digitrax all make sound decoders.
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

skipgear

For the DD40 there really isn't an easy answer. The loco has two different motors and I'm not sure if the factory decoder as two seprate motor drives or not. If you put a sound decoder in it, you will have to remove the factroy lightboard decoder and hardwire your own if I remember correctly. Finding room for the decoder, especially for one with enough amperage to handle two motors at once, may be tough. It does have a speaker location built into the fuel tank.

The J is about as easy as it gets. There is room for any of the major brand sound decoders and a pre made speaker grille in the bottom of the tender. Take your pick and make sure to get one with the right sounds in it.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

axle17921

For the DD40 I think soundtraxx makes one, this engine is big enough to fit a tsu-1000 in it, as for the J,  esu loksound has the class J sound file for the loksound 4.0 and the loksound select.  I went with the loksound select because it takes an 8 ohm speaker and soundtraxx has a 1/2 inch,8 ohm speaker that fits perfect in the speaker mount in the J's tender making the tender one giant baffle.

richg

Quote from: axle17921 on May 09, 2012, 02:03:27 PM
For the DD40 I think soundtraxx makes one, this engine is big enough to fit a tsu-1000 in it, as for the J,  esu loksound has the class J sound file for the loksound 4.0 and the loksound select.  I went with the loksound select because it takes an 8 ohm speaker and soundtraxx has a 1/2 inch,8 ohm speaker that fits perfect in the speaker mount in the J's tender making the tender one giant baffle.

I doubt a TSU1000, HO Scale,  will fit in a N Scale DD40AX which is a diesel. The 750 will fit which is a N Scale decoder. Two motor should not be an issue. I have put a decoder into a two motor 44 tonner and it ran fine. I connected the motor leads just like they where when running DC.
The OP can contact Litchfield Station, a very good DCC supplier.
There might even be a light board type decoder that would work but I seriously doubt and easy install unless you have some experience at this.

http://www.litchfieldstation.com/xcart/home.php
Below is a DCC site and the guy has a suggestion on how to make the Tsunami sound like a dual prime mover.
Look in Curriculum, SondTraxx and Tsunami and store the link in Favorites.

http://www.mrdccu.com/

Rich

richg

For the steamer. I found this in the SoundTraxx site.

USRA 4-8-2 Heavy Mountain   TSU-750 Heavy Steam   826003    810112/
Norfolk& Western Class J 4-8-4   TSU-750 Heavy Steam   826003    810112/

Again, contact Litchfield.

Rich