News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-6-0 or 4-6-0???

Started by Seaboard Air Line Fan, March 24, 2012, 07:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Which one?  I like the looks of both, the Mogul sounds like it might be a little sturdier with the metal chassis, but the 4-6-0 looks just as good.

Anyone have both and can you give me any advice?

Bob D.

emjayw

I have both a Spectrum 4-4-0 (very close to the 2-6-0) and a brand-new 2012 Anniversary 4-6-0 with all of the improvements.  The Annie swallows up all tight turns (4' Diam) with ease.  It tracks so much better than my original 4-6-0 Durango & Silverton with the old front truck.  The detailing on the Anniversary model is a huge improvement over the engines typically included in sets.  While I prefer the 4-4-0 for its classic lines, it is much easier to line up rolling stock in the 1:22.5 scale with the Annie than get cars which don't dwarf the 4-4-0 in use.  Smaller  20' 1:20.3 boxcars look "right" with the 4-4-0 whereas the engine is dwarfed by 1:20.3 rolling stock of a larger size.  I have used my 1:22.5 rolling stock with my Spectrum 4-4-0 and they don't look too out-of scale for it.  The new Annie chassis with metal gears and the new front truck is going to be a great engine for Bachmann.  Mike in TX

Loco Bill Canelos

You only live once! ::)
Get em both ;D
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Bill, I just knew you'd say that!  ;D

Mike, when you say the 4-4-0 and the 2-6-0 are close, do you mean in overall size?

Next query...is that the front coupler that hangs out and down on the 2-6-0?:

Can it be replaced by a Kadee?

Loco Bill Canelos

You guys are talking about two different locomotives.  The Spectrum 2-6-0 is not the same as the Industrial 2-6-0.

The industrial 2-6-0 (Your picture)is a very small locomotive compared to the 4-6-0.  My gut feeling is that you will be happier with the 4-6-0.

Yes that is the front coupler, if you are familiar with the actual size you can see how it overpowers the locomotive. That gives you an idea how small it really is. In real life this loco would not be used in mainline service but rather in a refinery or mill or some other industrial switching service.

Seaboard Air Line Fan

OOPS!  I didn't know there were 2 different Moguls.

Loco Bill Canelos

Forgot to mention that the industrial 2-6-0 is very light and will not pull many cars especially upgrade.  A lot of guys who have them end up adding weight.

emjayw

SALF: I assumed you were talking about the Spectrum Mogul which looks almost identical to the 4-4-0.  Yes, the "other" mogul is very small, and that front coupler is hideous!  I'll post some Annie pics soon as I can.  It IS a BIG improvement over the other garden-variety ten wheelers.  Chuff sensor be darned, I'm gonna fix that sucker!  Mike in TX

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Mike,

I didn't know there were different models.

The problem I'm having with the Spectrum Mogul is that I'm finding they're no longer in production and not readily available.  I get all worked up to get one then the bottom drops out when I find their no where to be found.

I'll stick with the 4-6-0 as that seems to be having a long life.

aspoz

Modifying the front coupler on the Indy to shorten the bar and make it less obtrusive is easy; I've pulled it almost all the way back to the cow catcher and there is still plenty of swing to go around 4' dia curves.  Agree that it's not the world's greatest puller, but it's still a great little engine - pull as couple of Jackson & Sharp's up my 1:30 (about 3%) grades without any trouble, looking good while it does it.  However, I would also agree that you're better off with the ten wheeler for general use.

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Yeah, I really like the looks of the Ten-Wheeler.

I wish it was more modern like this Seaboard unit:

but it'll do fine for this Mississippi Central engine:

Does anyone offer replacement domes and steam chests???

I have a mini-lathe and could make the domes, but the steam chest might be a little harder to do.

The Mississippi Central engine appears to be a CLOSE match  ;D