News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Most popular HO Bachmann Steam Locomotives

Started by Pacific Northern, March 27, 2012, 12:07:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

I came across a posting on another site regarding the most popular steam locomotives made.

That made me wonder which of the Bachmann steam locomotives made were the most popular to date in the US.

I realize that Bachmann will not release any numbers to the public as to the number of each locomotive they made, but it would be interested in hearing what the members of this site think as to the overall popularity of the Bachmann HO steamers.

I would think that the original Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0 would be the most popular steam locomotive to date due to its excellent detail and reasonable cost.

As to which locomotive would be next in line I would think that the Bachmann 0-6-0 switcher,
Pacific Northern

jonathan

PN,

It appears, from a customer standpoint, that the 2-8-0 has been the most popular to date.  The Connie has survived the 'Plus', Spectrum, and Standard versions over the course of at least a decade.  And they are still being made and sold like crazy.  At train shows, all the modular layouts have at least one modeler running one or more Connies.

A close second would have to be the 0-6-0.  That little loco has been around for a lot of years, with many improvements over time.  This little loco has been sold in countless train sets, along with being sold separately.  It a great starter loco and very affordable. Along with the newer versions, I have an old one (over ten years) that still runs well.  Also, consider that the 0-6-0 is based on a USRA prototype, which was used by lots of railroads.  So it fits in anywhere, especially small layouts.

While many of the Spectrum locos have been popular (2-6-6-2, Mountain, K-4, etc), my guess is they don't compare to the sheer numbers sold, compared to the 2-8-0 and 0-6-0.

I'm trying not to base my favorites on what seems most popular.  My favorite is the EM-1 of course.  Being a BandO nut makes that an obvious choice.  Everything else requires a bit of tweaking to get to my chosen railroad.

Regards,

Jonathan

electrical whiz kid

Hi;
I believe that, in the world of prototype, the 2-8-2 MIkado was the most-built steamer, built by several builders, and many roads.
Your question, however, deals with Bachmann.  I have to side with Pacific Northern, and say that, Bachmann-wise, the 2-8-0 is the most popular. 
To make a bit of a forcast, I think that possibly the 2-6-0 will eventually come on second.  With its versitility and "small-ness", the Mogul has a lot of appeal to a wide range of modelers, as well as layout owners.  I purchased three as soon as I caught wind that Bachmann had imported one.  I haven't run them yet, as my layout is now (again) in stages of reconstruction, but sooner than later, I will.
Rich

electrical whiz kid

On the 0-6-0;
With its versatility to work as a yard engine, humper, and in some cases, a road engine, this little locomotive found its way to a great many roads, with as many purposes intended.
The tender, with its design, gave it top billing as a shifter type loco, as it could be run forward or reverse with excellent visibility. 
Both the New Haven and the Boston and Maine had a fairly large roster of them.  My personal opinion of the unit was that it could be a hard road engine because of its lack of pony or trailing truck, which would make the engine tend to be rather rough riding and hunt the rails; and  that, in combination with a bad stretch of track or turnout configurations, made the potential for derailments high on the high iron!.
Rich

JRG1951

Well Guys,

I would vote on the various 4-8-4 locomotives for sheer volume. Even with the poor drives of the early models, The massive engines could warm the heart of many a modeller. The NYC Niagara, AT&SF Northern, The SP GS4, and the N&W J-Class just scream big time railroading. They came in train sets, with sidewinder motors, can motors, plus models, and are still there in the latest forms. The later can motor models were affordable and, with a little work, reliable. Yep! That is my vote.
Regards,
John
The older I get the better I used to be!  >> Lee Trevino

Jim Banner

If preschoolers to octogenarians get equal votes on this question, I would say Thomas the Tank is very high in the rankings in all scales.  I don't mean to imply that the sales of Thomas are higher - a layout can justify many Consolidations, switchers, Moguls etc. but never more than one Thomas.  In my opinion, popularity is more closely tied to recognition than to numbers sold, and let's face it - EVERYBODY knows Thomas.

It would be interesting to know how many "serious" model railroaders have a Thomas and maybe a fleet of his friends too in a drawer, closet or box and only take them out after visitors have gone home or when the grand kids arrive.

Jim

p.s. For the record, my favourite steam locomotive is the Pacific, probably because I rode more miles behind those than any other type of steamer.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Pacific Northern

Jim

I guess I couild have asked for only serious HO model railroaders to respond, however, that would have I am sure been a very lively discussion about what constituted a "serious" model railroader.

I wonder if there would possibly be a yard stick measure, only model railroaders  of a certain age? or perhaps only those with a layout larger that 200 sq ft? wonder what other measurements there might be?

Hopefully everyone knows that I am not serious.
Pacific Northern

Doneldon

PacNo and Jim-

There are so many model railroaders with different tastes and interests that I'm not sure a question about a most popular model has any real meaning. That's part of what is so great about this hobby to me -- the way it accomodates so many different interests in prototype, scale, what part of modeling to emphasize, finances and so on, and all of the different activities involved in our hobby.
                                                                                                                                                             -- D

rrbob

If you buy the 2-6-0, get it without sound and install a Soundtraxx  sound module.  The sound that somes with the 2-6-0 is very limited: bell, two whistles, light on-off and of course chuff. No brake squire or coupler crash.  Still a great loco for the price. I love mine!
Bob D.

Searsport

Hmmm.

On serious, I would say that Railroaders go for large layouts whilst Modellers go for small ones, as life is just not long enough to fully detail a large layout.

On favourites, mine are the Baldwin 4-6-0 and Richmond 4-4-0, both for level of detail and for accuracy for the Ma & Pa.  But they will obviously never be all-time best sellers.

On future all-time best sellers, I would agree that the 2-6-0 may have the greatest potential.   However, a Baldwin 0-6-0 tender loco with quality and detail to match the newer spectrums could be up there.  But then I might just have in mind Ma & Pa #29 + #30.  Sadly the current 0-6-0 doesn't cut the mustard, and the 0-6-0T has too short a wheelbase not to stall on some of my pointwork.

Bill. 

CJCrescent

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on March 27, 2012, 08:03:51 AM
Hi;
I believe that, in the world of prototype, the 2-8-2 MIkado was the most-built steamer, built by several builders, and many roads...

Actually it was the 2-8-0. It was built over a longer period of time by more builders than the Mike ever thought about being built by.
Keep it Between the Rails
Carey
Alabama Central Railway