News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Wiring for HO 0-6-0T switcher?

Started by tbdanny, March 29, 2012, 03:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbdanny

Hi all,

I've got a Bachmann HO scale DCC on-board 0-6-0T, which I'm using as the base for a conversion to an On30 tank engine.  I'm also going to be putting DCC & sound into it.  I've noticed that the motor is connected to the original lighting board by two resistors, and I was wondering what function exactly they serve, and whether it would be possible to disconnect them and connect the sound decoder directly to the motor?

Cheers,
tbdanny

Doneldon

tbd-

I'm not sure what you are trying to do and I'm not sure why you would want to
connect your sound board directly to the motor because it won't work that way.
Please add some information about your intention.
                                                                             -- D

richg

Quote from: tbdanny on March 29, 2012, 03:53:53 PM
Hi all,

I've got a Bachmann HO scale DCC on-board 0-6-0T, which I'm using as the base for a conversion to an On30 tank engine.  I'm also going to be putting DCC & sound into it.  I've noticed that the motor is connected to the original lighting board by two resistors, and I was wondering what function exactly they serve, and whether it would be possible to disconnect them and connect the sound decoder directly to the motor?

Cheers,
tbdanny

Those are not resistors, they are inductors that form a filter with the capacitors to satisfy the countries on the other side of the Pond. Bachmann sells a lot of DCC stuff outside the USA. 
Clip the capacitors and the inductors are a non factor. You can also remove th inductors and solder a short piece of wire in place of the inductors if space is an issue. Not a big deal.

After you remove the caps, just attached the decoder orange and gray wires to the proper terminals on the loco. They are numbered according to the NMRA 8 pin DCC wiring code. This assumes you understand how DCC decoders are connected.

Rich

tbdanny

Quote from: Doneldon on March 29, 2012, 04:01:32 PM
tbd-

I'm not sure what you are trying to do and I'm not sure why you would want to
connect your sound board directly to the motor because it won't work that way.
Please add some information about your intention.
                                                                             -- D

The decoder in question is a soundtraxx tsunami. I'm not going to be using the light board after the conversion, as the decoder will only be controlling sound and motor. My plan is to connect the decoder's orange and grey wires directly to the motor, with the pickups coming directly from the wheels. I figure the space taken by the light board could be used for the speaker or keep-alive capacitor.

rogertra

The "inductors" are called "suppressors" in the rest of the English speaking world and are a legal requirement on all household electric motors thoughout Europe and most of the industrial world.  They are there to stop interference with TV and radio signals in your neighbour's homes.

Tom M.

Tbd,

I've put sound in two of these.  However, both were kept HO.  I mounted a mini oval speaker to the inside of the cab roof.  I modified the speaker enclosure by cutting off its bottom.  I then sanded the remaining portion of the enclosure so it conformed to the curvature of the roof.  It was then glued in place.  The speaker was inserted in the enclosure as normal.  Unless you are looking into the cab at eye level, you really don't notice it there.

The factory light board is fairly small.  Removing it will gain you maybe 1/8" vertical height clearance.  That's not much room for a speaker.  If you plan on retaining the stock boiler, you'd be better off filling the former light board space with weight.  The loco is extremely light and does not pull well on even the slightest of grades.

Tom

tbdanny

Tom,

This is actually being used with a conversion kit, to make it into an On30 tank engine.  With the saddle tank on the front and the light board removed, I've got enough space to mount a 0.5" speaker with baffle facing either directly forwards or directly backwards.

richg

Just remember, use a 1k resistor if you use a LED. If you like real light bulbs and some do, a Miniatronics 1.5 volt, 1.2mm bulb with a 470 ohm resistor. If the standard 12 volt bulb, use a 22 ohm resistor for longer light bulb life.
The Tsunami 750 works very well for this loco.

tbdanny

Quote from: richg on March 30, 2012, 12:59:51 PM
Just remember, use a 1k resistor if you use a LED. If you like real light bulbs and some do, a Miniatronics 1.5 volt, 1.2mm bulb with a 470 ohm resistor. If the standard 12 volt bulb, use a 22 ohm resistor for longer light bulb life.

Rich,

Do you mean a 1k resistor works with the original Bachmann LEDs?

richg

Quote from: tbdanny on March 30, 2012, 02:08:51 PM
Quote from: richg on March 30, 2012, 12:59:51 PM

Rich,

Do you mean a 1k resistor works with the original Bachmann LEDs?

That is what I just said. I could not be any clearer.
Don't remember what the 0-6-0T has.

Different runs of Bachmann loco will have 12 to 14 volt light bulbs or LED's.
With an ohm meter, standard light bulb will show some resistance. Under 100 ohms the last I recall.
An LED will show max resistance, many meg ohms. Reversing the test leads for the meter will show the same. Some use a 9 volt battery and a 1 k resistor to check for an LED. If the LED does night light, reverse the test leads.
Bachmann PC boards will have the resistors if required for an LED and maybe a 220 ohm resistor if there is a light bulb but that only comes into play in reverse to dim the headlight. My Bachmann USRA tender PC board had that setup.

Rich