News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Spectrum coupler height

Started by joe3292, April 01, 2012, 12:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe3292

I purchased recently 2 Spectrum DCC ready Dash 8-40c diesels. A CSX and a Norfolk Southerns.They have rapido couplers.  It seams the couplers on the new engines do not line up with any of the rolling stock.They are body mounted, not truck mounted. They are too high. I thinks it is a flaw in the design. Is there a fix for this. Please HELP!
I will try to post photos later. 

Albert in N

The prototypes are handsome locomotives.  I own an older Bachmann Spectrum Dash 8-40CW and used MicroTrains 1015-1 (assembled) couplers.  These now also come in brown color for realism.  You could also use Bachmann's dummy knuckle or new working knuckle couplers to replace the ugly rapidos.  The Bachmann couplers should simply drop in, but the MicroTrains will require using their drill and tap set so you can screw the coupler box onto the locomotive.  Check MicroTrains website for their online store in the event that you have no local decent hobby shops.  I recently ordered from MicroTrains and my order arrived by US Mail in less than a week. The MicroTrain couplers come with shims to adjust the height if needed.   By the way, Atlas shows a rerun of their Dash 8-40C due next month (check AtlasRR.com).  Atlas offers both DC and installed DCC versions, with both already having working Accumate knuckle couplers.    Good luck!

NuthinDragginOwt

If youre referring to coupler height issues with Rapido couplers, there is no real fix that I know of for height issues. I am not aware of there ever being companies that make, or made a rapido coupler that have overset or underset couplers. As Albert suggested, the best fix to the situation is to use some sort of knuckle couplers. Bachmann makes a dummy coupler that may fit directly into the draft gear box on the engine. Preferrably however, Micro-trains I think makes the best product being there are several sizes available for virtually any N scale engine. If you go on their website, look under "Conversions", there you will find a listing by manufacturer and engine type as to what they recommend for the conversion. Alberty is right that it may require a small drill ad tap set, along with small screwdrivers to convert them.