News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

So apparently...

Started by darthraven, March 30, 2012, 05:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darthraven

My first track laying went bad.  after letting the glue dry for over 24 hours somehow my track separated some in the joiners.  The train runs but when it gets to this area it clicks and slows for a sec.  Any advice before I rip it up and start again.

Franz T

Rip it up and start again....

Desertdweller

suspect you know the answer.

Did you glue the track directly to the roadbed?  Or, are you ballasting track laid on roadbed, with the glue in the ballast anchoring the track?

You have to prevent the track from moving until the glue dries.  Try using the little track nails that go through the plastic ties.  Don't put them down tight against the ties.  Leave room to pull them out after the glue dries.
They just have to hold the track in position long enough for the glue to dry.

If you are using EZ Track, run a bead of white glue under the edges of the roadbed on each section.  You can weight this stuff down with cans of food, etc.

For any method double check your track joints.  If I am laying flex track or regular sectional track, I like to test-run it before adding ballast.

Les

darthraven

I, like the super genius I am decided to glue it down using dap sealant I let it dry ran my finger over it and it was smooth all the way around.  I then put on the ballast and sealed it.  Here is what I think happened as I was spraying the ballast (water & 70% alc) I think it somehow loosened the sealant enough for it to shift ( code 55 flex).

NuthinDragginOwt

I would say youll need to start over. Personally, if you gluing track down and not nailing it down (that of course being dependant on exactly what material youre attaching the track to), I suggest using Pins, you can pick them up at virtually any craft store or walmart for a dollar or so. I personally suggest using T-pins being they have a little handle that will be handy in the last step. Also make sure the pins are small enough that they will fit through the nail holes in the ties. First put you adhesive down, then set the track in place to your liking, the take the pins and place them in the nail holes in the ties.  You dont need to put the pins in far, just deep enough into the layout that they will keep the track in place. Once the glue dries, gently remove the needle. You shoud be gentle doing this because you could pull the track up if the glue hasnt fully dried or the need is caught on something under the track. Sometimes giving them a little twist before pulling them out (the reason why T-pins are suggested) will also free them from any glue or other materials that it making them harder to pull out.