News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-6-0 problem!

Started by john29, March 28, 2012, 03:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john29

I have a New York Central HO Mogul 2-6-0 from Bachmann. Sadly, on one side some of the metal rods (piston rods?) cause a piece of plastic to pop off and hit the track, causing it to derail. Some suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks!

bobwrgt

Go to the top of the page and click on parts and service. See what part you need to fix it and call Bachmann to order. If the engine is in warranty they should send you the part or parts for free.
If you think you can not fix it yourself you will have to send the engine to them for repair.

Bob

jonathan

Are we talking about one of the old 2-6-0s?

If so, here is a little quirk on the old 0-6-0/2-6-2/2-6-0s.  The crosshead guides are not connected to each other.  The lower guide tends to droop over time and will allow the crosshead to fall out of position, drop out of the steam chest, and leads to less fun.  The metal crosshead can also push down on the lower, plastic crosshead guide and cause a derailment.

I have fixed by carefully pushing the drooping guide up and connecting it to the upper guide with a piece of 0.015" wire and some epoxy.

If we're talking about the new Alco 2-6-0, I haven't a clue.

Regards,

jonathan

john29

Jonathan, how old are the old models? I got mine 2 or 3 years ago.

P.S. Mine is a Mogul not a Alco, if that helps.

Doneldon

j29-

Alco is short for the American Locomotive Company. Mogul is the Whyte classification name for a 2-6-0 steam engine. The wheel arrangements weren't patented so any manufacturer or railroad erection shop could build a Mogul but only Alco could put the Alco name on one they built. The new Bachmann Mogul locomotive is modeled after an Alco prototype which is why it is an Alco Mogul. I don't recall what prototype was used for the previous Moguls.
                                                                                                                                                                                               -- D

rogertra

Quote from: Doneldon on March 29, 2012, 12:32:30 AM
j29-

Alco is short for the American Locomotive Company. Mogul is the Whyte classification name for a 2-6-0 steam engine. The wheel arrangements weren't patented so any manufacturer or railroad erection shop could build a Mogul but only Alco could put the Alco name on one they built. The new Bachmann Mogul locomotive is modeled after an Alco prototype which is why it is an Alco Mogul. I don't recall what prototype was used for the previous Moguls.
                                                                                                                                                                                               -- D

No prototype as far as I know.  It was a Botchmann locomotive.  They added a pilot truck to their USRA 0-6-0 switcher and called it a "Mogul" and added a pilot truck and trailing truck to the same USRA 0-6-0 switcher and called it a Prairie.  So, no known prototypes as far as I know.

jonathan

John,

I am running one on my layout that was manufactured in 2002.  It has the drooping crosshead guides, that I repaired... not difficult. It was a 2-6-2 Prarie.  I removed the lead and trailing trucks to make it an 0-6-0.

Honestly, I don't know what year the upgrade was made.  My other USRA types came with DCC.  So they were made within the last 18 months.

The Alco types are new relases.  You don't have that one.

Hopefully, you can see the piece of wire I used to fix the crosshead guides on this one:

Regards,

Jonathan

electrical whiz kid

HI John;
The 2-6-0 you have is what I call Bachmann's answer to a "one size fits all" approach (sounds like an old Frank Zappa tune), an approach that I personally do not care for.  The 0-6-0 that they created created is, to me, just that:  an 0-6-0. 
In my collection I have a couple of 2-6-2 Prarie types.  They are way different; and, to me, look a lot better.  Slapping a pony and/or a trailing truck on what is really a switching engine doesn't do much for me.
The 2-6-0 Mogul Bachmann just came out with is a really nice looking locomotive, and it seems to run just fine.  I also have two IHC Moguls which I have the same feelings about.
I have compared you photo to their new Mogul, and there are quite a bit of small differences in them.  All in all, I think Bachmann puts out a fine product, but that  "one size-fits-all "0-6-0 will never capture my heart!
Rich