How many use all the function buttons?

Started by Rangerover1944, March 29, 2012, 10:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangerover1944

I am curious as to how many model railroaders actually use all the function buttons when operating one train or 3-6 trains for a session. QSI, I believe, has the most functions for sound and or lights, 17 at the present time and I've read somewhere where they are adding 2 more functions.

Most throttles have 10 function buttons and some have 27, correct me if I'm wrong,

my throttle has 10, I still use Bachmann EZ Command after 7 years. I mostly use the default buttons such as:

1-bell

2-horn/whistle

3-loco addressing

4-ditch lights (remapped, not defalult)

8-mute

9-dim light

10- light/lights on/off

I don't use all the function buttons for all the sounds/functions available on a decoder. Though I know how limited I am with my throttle. Even when I program using PR3/JMRI their throttles too only have 10 function buttons. I assume that using other throttles,Dynamis, Digitrax, NCE for example would have something on the screen such as touch for the remaining functions. I really can't remember all the function's on my decoders whether it's Bachmann, QSI, Soundtraxx, Tsunami, or Digitrax.

The only other function button I use is #4 for my ditch/mars lights, I remapped so I could remember what function button to use.

Do any users really use more than the bell, horn/whistle and the light function buttons when operating or am I really alone. I do run 3-4 trains with 2 loco consist's on my 11'x17' layout but can run up to 6. It seems that running even 2-3 trains and trying to apply all the different functions is almost impossible. Heck I can't really remember what loco is on what address, let alone the functions for it.

LOL, I've never sent text messages with my cell phone either, maybe it's just the younger generations that can move their fingers and mind that fast, at 68 I sure can't.

Thanks in advance, Jim

NarrowMinded

I think I use the mute more then any on my sound Loco's, as an older guy the sound is fun to show people but after a while it starts to get to me and I shut it off and then the rest of the sound functions are a "Mute" point... :P

NM-Jeff

It's funny, my favorite thing about dcc functions is that I can have a locomotive sitting waiting at a turnout with the light on...

jward

i am not so much worried about the functions. i am in dcc because i can fine tune the operating characteristics of my locomotives. headlights, bell and horn are all i ever use. but i also utilize switching speed, a setting that cuts locomotive speed in half when activated.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

the Bach-man

Hey, Jeff!
Seems like Sound Value is right up your alley!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

NarrowMinded

:P
I tried setting them lower but then when the kids want to hear the sound they like it loud I end up turning it back up...

Don't get me wrong I really like the Sounds, all the Bachmann loco's with sound Are very Nice and I still buy loco's with sound when I can. I just have to turn them off sometime.

NM-Jeff

jward

Quote from: the Bach-man on March 31, 2012, 11:42:06 PM
Hey, Jeff!
Seems like Sound Value is right up your alley!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

i have both the s4 and the fa2. they are just what i wanted, a low cost sound locomotive. i must say, having spent alot of time around the real ones, these are dead on.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA