Wiring Signal Lights for 44130 and 44131 EZ Command DCC Turnouts?

Started by KiteFlyer, March 31, 2012, 07:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiteFlyer

I have a fairly extensive 100% Bachmann HO DCC 5' X 8 ' layout, with reversing loop, motorized turntable w/ Tidmouth Shed, main, siding, a/d track, etc. (landscaping to come later), but cannot see all my DCC Turnouts and therefore am trying to find information on adding signal lights to my Bachmann DCC Turnouts to avoid derailments.  Do you have any recommendations on how to wire in functional signal lights onto the 44130 and 44131 EZ Command DCC Turnouts?

Doneldon

KF-

This can be done but it will either defeat the purpose of DCC turnouts or cost a slug of money.

You can use relays and run wires back to your control center to run status light (either red and green lights or a bi-color LED which changes color depending on from which direction the power is fed. However, this introduces a lot of wiring expense and effort that DCC is supposed to help us avoid. You will also find that you are sometimes away from your control panel when you want to throw a turnout so you still won't know the turnout's position. Some DCC systems display turnout position on their controlers which is very handy. All should do that.

The expensive solution would be a parallel universe of second decoders programmed to respond to the commands you send to your turnout decoders, sort of like consisting. Thus, two decoders will respond when you throw turnout number X, one at the turnout itself and one under your control panel. Doubling decoders costs money, of course, and you still won't know your turnouts' positions if you are out of sight of your control panel.

For me, I'd either want a controler capable of displaying turnout position or just go with conventional remote switch operation and signal lights (with or without relays depending on how the circuits are wired).
                                                                             -- D

captain1313