News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Locomtive with sound

Started by wilson44512, April 01, 2012, 10:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wilson44512

Do they make a locomotive with sound that will work on a dc? I have EZ track (Black) With  the regular controller. And i was wondering if i can run a DCC locomotive on it with sound? Or will i need a different controller? And if i do can some one help the poor person out and tell me what i need. Plus a less expensive locomotive?

NarrowMinded

Bachmann Locomotives work on dc, though you can not control them like with a dcc controller they have Auto dcc functions, what this means is some of the sounds are controlled buy how your run the train.

On DC
My Bachmann Forney with factory tsunami, sounds the horn when you start it up in forward.

Sounds the horn Back up signal when switched into reverse, as well as the mechanical sounds of the loco being switched to reverse.

The brakes squeal when you slow the loco down.

there are others I can't remember but some are triggered buy how you twist the throttle, a sudden twist up or down. Etc. you can control them to some degree once you get the hang of it.

NM-JEff

glennk28

MRC (Model Rectifier  Corp) makes the "Black Box"that connects between the power supply and track and allows several  of the DCC sounds  to be accessed on regular DC.  I have one of the older ones, limited to 2 amps--they now advertise one good for 6  amps.  gj

bobwrgt

For HO scale.
Broadway Limited Blueline and Paragon 2(dc/DCC) is for DC only and you will have to purchase their add on controller once to access all the sound You can also program the sound with it.
Atlas, Proto (Walthers), Intermountain and Broadway Limited all with QSI sound will work on DC only and Dcc You will also have to purchase their add on controller once to access all the sounds and program.
I have purchased several Blueline, Proto, Broadwayand Atlas Gold engines with factory sound for under $125.00 New on Ebay from dealers. The separate controllers are around $50.00.
Bachmann has just come out with a sound value line of locomotives but they use soundtrax and need to run on DCC or you would have to purchase the MRC black Box (no programing) to get all the sounds. The MRC tech 6 ( has programing)and would also work for running DC and DCC sound units .
Athearn is now also using Soundtrax for sound.
With all the above you will get only the sound of the Engine or chuff without an add on controller to get the Bell/Whistle or horn. Except the Qsi system you can flip the reverse switch on your powerpack to use the bell or horn/whistle.

Any separate DC sound decoder will run $45.00 to $100.00 and you will have to install them. The engines with factory installed sound are a better way to go for me.

Mrc also makes a model 1025 sound box and speaker for diesel and steam sound that is not in the engine and you can have sound for everything you are running just not in the engine.

Bob

richg

Quote from: wilson44512 on April 01, 2012, 10:58:01 PM
Do they make a locomotive with sound that will work on a dc? I have EZ track (Black) With  the regular controller. And i was wondering if i can run a DCC locomotive on it with sound? Or will i need a different controller? And if i do can some one help the poor person out and tell me what i need. Plus a less expensive locomotive?

Go look at the documents in this forum. They will tell you what the Bachmann DCC locos can do.
The Alco 2-6-0 with sound can be had for about $120 the last I knew and might be the lowest price sound loco available.
Search the Bachmann forums for alco 2-6-0. I and a couple others have posted messages about where the loco is sold online.
Take time to learn how to properly use the Bachmann forums as there is a lot of info here that will benefit you.

Rich
Correction, $107.95 plus shipping at Micro Mark. Not sure you can do any better. I have seen a starting price for quite less on ebay BUT, what the loco actually sells for will be determined at the final bid.

NarrowMinded

To me It would seem silly to spend money on a device to trigger sound when you can get a EZ-Command for 69.00 online that will do more then trigger the sounds.

NM-Jeff