News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum tender pc board

Started by richngr, April 02, 2012, 10:46:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richngr

Hello everyone. New in N scale and to the forum. Very limited knowledge of DCC other than the basics.

Just bought a  Bachmann Spectrum USRA standard tender which I am using  in a kitbashing project with the Minitrix K4.  The tender has a mounted pc board with 6 pins.  Is this a DCC decoder and can I use the appropriate pins to run power to the loco?  I just want to run in DC mode for now and possibly DCC later. Am wondering  whether a micro connector is available which would make the wiring neater. Also what is the recommended Micro-trains coupler for this tender?

BM2525

This information is from an internet company that I purchase perhaps 85% of my stuff from. "BuyNScale.com" I own a Consolidated, according to one that I was bidding on, built in 2002. That sounds right because I remember running this one prior to my surgery in 2005. Now I purchased the tender your talking about, and I just compared the coupler on both, and the mounting look identical, so I imagine this will work.

At least you figured how to take it apart, I haven't yet. I thought Bachman would have at leased stated what decoder to use. I stopped bidding on that one since I have 2 already, and both of these are hardwired, the reason for the tender, the cost for my to have decoders professionally installed is $75, plus shipping both ways, and if I want sound, well that is extra. Well right now I have other engines to put decoders in before our next show in August. Good luck with your project.

2-8-0 Coupler Conversions
Tender - body mount 2004 OR 2004-1 coupler on tender
Pilot - use 1015 coupler in 2004 coupler pocket
Click on Micro-TrainsĀ® logo for complete listing of coupler conversions available

Richard

BostonandMaine2525@yahoo.com   

skipgear

There have been quite a few discussions on the topic.....

Tender connector -
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,13203.0.html

Tender wiring / decoder info -
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,16548.0.html

In short, the board in the tender is not a decoder. It has 7 pads on it to solder a decoder into and a 6 pin plug to connect the tender to the loco. If you leave the jumpers on the lightboard pads, it will act as a DC tender. The 6 pin plug has motor +/-, front light +/-, and framepickup L/R on it. They are labeled on the bottom of the light board.

Coupler -

The drop in solution for the older tenders is an MT 1129. It comes with the same style clip in coupler box and works well. No modifications needed and gives you the correct height.

A 1015 or 2004 can be used but it requires drilling and filing on the metal frame on all but the most recent tenders that come on the working knuckle coupler on the DCC included loco's.

For the front I prefer a MT 905 Z scale coupler as it is closer to scale and will couple with N scale couplers just fine. Either way, it takes some opening up of the hole to make it work.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950